• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Options market maker - career progression/exit opps?

Hello,

I'm currently working as an OMM at a top trading firm in Chicago. I'm curious about what my career might look like 6-8 years from now - would it be possible to move to a BB or a quant-oriented hedge fund? What types?

I enjoy my job but it's not something I can see myself doing forever. Other than the remote possibility of making partner level, what are possibilities for the future? Do people tend to go get MBAs or MFEs? My goal eventually is to move to a hedge fund on the east coast.

Appreciate any advice. Thanks!

CTC? sounds like you've worked in this field for a total of 1 month. to begin with, trading firms aren't about career progression; they're about personal growth. no trader cares to be called a vice president or partner or whatever. they care about getting better at what they do, so they can increase their pnl, so they can earn a bigger bonus. if this isn't your style, then just apply for a hedge fund after gaining some work experience.. no need for the mba or mfe given you've made it this far

J

CTC? sounds like you've worked in this field for a total of 1 month. to begin with, trading firms aren't about career progression; they're about personal growth. no trader cares to be called a vice president or partner or whatever. they care about getting better at what they do, so they can increase their pnl, so they can earn a bigger bonus. if this isn't your style, then just apply for a hedge fund after gaining some work experience.. no need for the mba or mfe given you've made it this far

J
Not CTC, but a similar firm. Appreciate the advice - I've worked for about 6 months now. To be honest, while I know compensation isn't everything, it is a big concern for me, and it seems that managing partner status is really reserved for the founders of the company. The heads of desks are young and incredibly smart, but I get the sense that they aren't compensated as well as they might be in a similar role at a HF.

you wouldn't have to stay at that firm all the way to managing partner level... different firms have different payout structures. also, you said you've only been working for 6 months. have you even executed your own trade yet (not incl. hedging)? can you really say you like being a trader yet? i think you have a long way to go before understanding what you're in for, and the possibilities of how much you can make as a trader. as i said, if not knowing your exact path isn't for you, get applying the new york hedge funds/banks soon. if i were you i'd get another year under my belt before thinking of moving though..

you wouldn't have to stay at that firm all the way to managing partner level... different firms have different payout structures. also, you said you've only been working for 6 months. have you even executed your own trade yet (not incl. hedging)? can you really say you like being a trader yet? i think you have a long way to go before understanding what you're in for, and the possibilities of how much you can make as a trader. as i said, if not knowing your exact path isn't for you, get applying the new york hedge funds/banks soon. if i were you i'd get another year under my belt before thinking of moving though..
Understood. I've been making trades for about 2 months, but I acknowledge that I haven't even come close to completely knowing what it's like being a more senior trader. I do know that I want to go back to the east coast eventually, though...

Back