• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

OR Phd pursuing Columbia CVN OR-Methods in Finance?

I've been interested in a quant career. My background: ph.d. in Industrial Engineering - OR, a few years working experience in retail banking for predictive modeling and optimization, programming experience. Mid-30's with family, Bachelor's degree in EE.

Pursing a full-time MFE is too much opportunity cost for me.
Anyone has any insight how useful it can be to pursue a part-time video streaming program for Columbia IE/OR - Methods in Finance? Or it's flat-out stupid?

I suppose there won't be much employment placement service (if any at all) or networking benefit from there... So the question is, how useful that paper of degree (plus some FE courses taking) could be in 2 - 3 years for me to possibly switching to be a quant?

thanks in advance.

it does sound a little weird that you go for a MS in OR after a phd in IEOR....

CVN's classes are the same as on-campus class because you'll do the same homework, take the same midterm/final. So there is nothing "stupid" about taking classes through CVN. But the video is not streamed over the internet, you would have to download the video after they record it.

CVN's OR-Method in finance still requires you to take core OR classes (like stochastic model/deterministic model/simulation), although these classes will put more emphasis on finance. But you most likely will find these topics overlapping from what you learned in OR back in your PhD years. Maybe you can ask for waiver for these core classes, but it still looks weird on your resume that you have an "OR" master degree after a phd in IEOR.

I'd suggest that you go for a part time program like MSFE or MFE... or MBA if work prevents you from pursuing the degree full time.

@hardvard: Thanks for the reply!
that was exactly my concern - overlapped courses and lower degree in the same field on my resume...

I am not aware of any part-time MFE or MSFE programs though as you mentioned.
Can you give more details? What schools give part-time MFE or MSFE?

Thanks Andy. That's helpful!
Is there a list that comes in handy for the PT video streaming / internet / remote programs in MSFE, MFE, etc., since most of them are on-campus only...

Does anyone know of any PT remote / internet programs for MSFE, MSF with a good school name and decent ranking? It seems to me Columbia MSOR CVN is the only one (in the US).....

@Connor, I tried very little (applied for less than 5 positions couple of years ago) and didn't get much response.
My ph.d. was not from a first-tier school and my industry experience is mostly in retail banking (a little bit in commercial banking).
Any suggestion how to crack into IB, maybe just the buy side?? I'm on the track of CFA btw...

You might be looking for something like this Certificate in Computational Finance | University of Washington Professional and Continuing Education

@Connor, I tried very little (applied for less than 5 positions couple of years ago) and didn't get much response.
My ph.d. was not from a first-tier school and my industry experience is mostly in retail banking (a little bit in commercial banking).
Any suggestion how to crack into IB, maybe just the buy side?? I'm on the track of CFA btw...

Back