• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Oxford/Cambridge undergrad Econ -> Berkeley MFE: possible?

Hi, I would appreciate some honest advice as to whether it would be remotely possible for me to get into the UC Berkeley MFE programme having done BA econ undergrad at Oxbridge?

The most quantitative undergrad courses I have taken are Econometrics I and Econometrics II. I have very limited programming experience in R, but nothing beyond that. I have a 760 GMAT and some experience in investment banking at an Evercore/Centerview/Lazard-type bank if that counts for anything too.

Am I wasting my time even applying?

Thanks

Not specific to UCB MFE program but if any program is offering you admission, it will be conditional on you complete a range of math/programming/finance courses.
Are you open to the option of target the 2025 cycle and strengthen your background?
Take QuantNet C++ course, Options course and some more math courses locally. Get some work experience/internship during this time.
You only do your master once and the difference between graduating from the top one and the 20th ranked is a lifetime earning loss of millions.

Last edited:
Not specific to UCB MFE program but if any program is offering you admission, it will be conditional on you complete a range of math/programming/finance courses.
Are you open to the option of target the 2025 cycle and strengthen your background?
Take QuantNet C++ course, Options course and some more math courses locally. Get some work experience/internship during this time.
You only do your master once and the difference between graduating from the top one and the 20th ranked is a lifetime earning loss of millions.
Yes, I would 100% be willing to complete any courses need and will look into this.

Similar boat as you. Pol + econ @ a top London uni (think ucl/lse). Fluent in R, decent with python but taking a class next year. Will have taken calc (2 modules), probability, metrics (2 modules), mathematical game theory + macro micro (4 modules) and research design (basically like metrics for political science). Not sure if it's worth a shot for 2025. If you get any insights from the info sessions please do share :)

Back