• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE Oxford MSc in Mathematical and Computational Finance vs. LSE MSc in Financial Mathematics

I am currently considering two offers: LSE MSc in Financial Mathematics and Oxford MSc in Mathematical and Computational Finance.

Does anyone have insights into recruiting into quant roles from either one? Or just general advice about the courses or the types of people that should go for them?

I am currently considering two offers: LSE MSc in Financial Mathematics and Oxford MSc in Mathematical and Computational Finance.

Does anyone have insights into recruiting into quant roles from either one? Or just general advice about the courses or the types of people that should go for them?
You should choose Oxford. Think it's a no-brainer. Except if you are considering the possibility of living in London. I checked the placement for LSE Finmath and it didn't feel very impressive. Also, I have seen many Oxford MCF quant alumni on LinkedIn working for top financial institutions...Oxford has a very good brand name and also one of the best program for a PhD in Quant Finance, together with the program at ETH Zurich. Lastly, after Cambridge, Oxford is widely regarded as the best place to study maths in the UK...LSE is not really well regarded for math degrees. Think schools like Edinburgh, Imperial, Warwick even rank higher.

Genuine advice, if this is a question for you then you need to work on your research approach or skills and qualitative judgement. This probs sounds salty and tbh I am, but genuinely you should work on it.

By every single criteria, Oxford is the choice. These courses are not in the same tier. Congratulations mate, genuinely. You must have worked really hard to be good enough to get in. Good luck in the future.

Might seem random but may I ask, are you a Christian?

Back