• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Oxford undergrad - what next?

Hello all!

I'm currently an undergraduate in Oxford. I'm studying Physics. I plan on going into quantitative analysis, as I've been interested in it for many years - I've been trading with my savings, building algorithms and trying them on games such as BullBearings, etc.

I can see a lot of options to get into quantitative analysis, such as the MFE programmes at many universities, or a PhD focusing on some aspect of quantitative research. I'd like to do my postgrad studies somewhere other than Oxford - I'm keen on spending some time in the US at a premier university.

My two questions:

1. What should I do at the moment in my summer vacation, while I'm in undergrad? I've been applying for internships and so on, but I can't get anything this year - companies laying off full-time staff aren't really going to take on interns! Is anyone aware of FE companies who are offering internships this year?

2. What would your advice be on what to do after BSc in Physics or MPhys (Masters in Physics)?

Thanks for the help! If you're ever around Oxford, let me know - I'll give you a tour!

You have an FE program at Oxford. Additionally, City University, Imperial, and Birkbeck (among others) all have strong programs of their own. If I were in your position I would go for one of these. They easily rival the strongest American programs. The American programs will probably work out more expensive for you and I don't see any difference in the dividend you will reap.

Thanks - it's just I'm kind of set on spending some time in the US for studying. Also, here masters is compulsory for PhD or DPhil, but in the US I could save a year.

I'm looking at the MFE programme at Berkeley, but I'd ideally like to go for a PhD

Any ideas?

PhD programs here typically take about 4 or 5 years and you'll spend the first one or two years taking courses, similar to what you will do in a masters program. I don't think you'll save much time here. Isn't Mike Giles at Oxford doing stuff related to computational finance?

Maybe I could excuse myself from some courses / do extra work to save a year? I think Mike Giles is at Oxford but I just want to get some diversity on studying... which PhD programmes are best suited to becoming a quant in a top hedge fund?

Back