• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Part-time jobs @ NYC

Could any Baruch student tell me about the possibility of working part-time job on the street when pursuing the MFE program... I know it's a tough market... But from what I have heard there are still some part-time jobs you could do while the school is based in mid-town Manhatten...

I just got admission from the program yesterday... I'm trying to figure out how could I earn my tuition on the job... Thanks ahead!

Are you going to be a full-time student? If so, I would strongly advise not looking for work on the street until you get through the first two semesters. First, I think you will find your time wasted looking for part-time employment in finance (at least in NY ) right now. More importantly, Dan's courses and probability are going to keep you gainfully employed.

With luck, by this time next year the job market will hopefully start opening up, and you will have more time to think about part-time work.

As an international student I believe you cannot work outside the campus until you complete two semesters of studies.

Theoretically, it's illegal for F1 holder to work outside campus---except for working with CPT/OPT.
There are examples that who working full time and enrolling as full-time student, and didn't screw the grades/study.

Theoretically, it's illegal for F1 holder to work outside campus---except for working with CPT/OPT.
There are examples that who working full time and enrolling as full-time student, and didn't screw the grades/study.

Thank you everyone for the response!

btw, Yan He, would you let me know what's CPT/OPT?

About OPT (Optional Practical Training)----you can apply it AFTER you get your advanced degree in US. Optional Practical Training

CPT: International Student City Immigration Center
I believe many F1 students have to apply for CPT for internship while studying, with many limits, like hours working each week, and how many credits finished before apply for CPT. Check with International Student Office for more details. (Normally, ISO sucks!! :) )

There're slim possibility that you can subsidize your own expense as full-time student (if you are F1, you have to enroll full-time). So, better figure out how to cover your own expense before coming to USA.

You can check with shool, some students can work as TA/RA or other jobs in campus. (My scholarship + TA covered all my expenses years ago.) Or if you can find a co-signer, apply for student loan.

Good luck!

I am not sure about this, but you can work part time outside campus if you're willing not to be paid for it. I think on a volunteer-unpaid basis you can work part time even as an international student. Maybe someone can elaborate on this.

Yes, you are right. If you are willing to work UNPAIN, just work any hours you can inside or outside campus.

Trying to make some small sum of money while studying FT in the Baruch MFE program is the last thing you should have in your mind. Taking unpaid job is even a worse idea.
Given the current situation and the low tuition at Baruch, your would be best served focusing all the energy to your study. There are plenty of time to find employment later on.
Just feel lucky that you don't have to shell out 100K for your MFE in this uncertain market.

One of my friends who just shelled out $160K for an MBA in Wharton (student loan) is trying to find an internship for months. She'd been working on Street for about 3 years after her PHD in Econometrics. She would take any paid part-time I believe.

Yes, it's tough even for part-time in current situation. So, the bes thing, concentrate in the full-time study.

Back