• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Part Time MFE in NY area

Hi,
I am middle management level professional working as a buy side analyst with a top tier bank in US.

I have a following background

Academics ( +3.7 CGPA)
- Bachelors in accounting ( India)
- MBA from mid tier US university
- CFA
- Chartered Accountant (India)

Experience
-Equity Analyst - 3 years (India)
-Equity Analyst - 4 years (USA)

Level of skill set
-Finance - High
-Programming - Intermediate ( R and VBA)
-Mathematics - Basic

Since last year I have moved to the Quant research team ( mainly involved in building factor models for stock selection and portfolio allocation).

I have started feeling that there is a gap in my current skill sets vs what is required for my role. I am contemplating on applying for a part time or online MCQF / MFE programs or keep on self studying.

I would be glad if some could evaluate my profile and suggest me some resources which could aid me in filling gaps in it. I want to apply for next fall so I still have around year to work on it and improve

Also if you could suggest me some good part time programs in NY area or some good online MFE/ Certificate programs.

Regards
Ak

NYU MathFin and Columbia MAFN have part-time programs. CMU MSCF stopped offering their part-time program last year.

I did the same research myself years ago and options include:

Columbia MAFN
Columbia Masters in Statistics (similar to MAFN and a lot of students cross reg into MAFN courss)
Columbia Masters in Data Science/Computer Science (if you are happy with your finance background and want the programming skills)
NYU Courant Math Finance Master
NYU Poly MFE
Baruch

I did the same research myself years ago and options include:

Columbia MAFN
Columbia Masters in Statistics (similar to MAFN and a lot of students cross reg into MAFN courss)
Columbia Masters in Data Science/Computer Science (if you are happy with your finance background and want the programming skills)
NYU Courant Math Finance Master
NYU Poly MFE
Baruch

Thanks for the reply, the reason for me for pursuing MFE is to increase my grip over some of the topics I am heavily using for work, namely programming ( R, Python, VBA) and time series analysis ( regression and multivariate) also building expertise in risk modeling and asset allocations will certainly help me going forward. The main issue I am facing is heavy load and longer learning curve if I try to learn these things by my self. MFins wont help me with my background. But for MFE's Maths and programming background is a must requirement, which I think makes my profile little weak compared to other applicants.

Thanks for the reply, the reason for me for pursuing MFE is to increase my grip over some of the topics I am heavily using for work, namely programming ( R, Python, VBA) and time series analysis ( regression and multivariate) also building expertise in risk modeling and asset allocations will certainly help me going forward. The main issue I am facing is heavy load and longer learning curve if I try to learn these things by my self. MFins wont help me with my background. But for MFE's Maths and programming background is a must requirement, which I think makes my profile little weak compared to other applicants.

I actually think that your profile would be a quick shoo-in for most of these programs. If you are already doing some technical work (programming/modelling) then getting reference letters from co-workers at a top tier bank about your work projects and performance would be a stronger testament to technical ability than a math undergrad degree. Plus you have the CFA and MBA. My profile was a finance undergrad and some years of experience at a bank and it was sufficient for admission to several of these programs.

In terms of the heavy workload that you mention, frankly I think spending time trudging to school and sitting in lectures and doing homework on topics that may or may not be that relevant for work is a heavier unnecessary load than if you picked up an online course and a textbook to do at your will.

Getting a technical graduate degree at any of these programs and doing it part-time while working full-time is a difficult (and long) endeavor. I think fastest is 2 years and longest maybe 4 years for part-time, and you will not have a life then.

But if you're looking for subject matter but also brand name / degree recognition then it might be worth it.

I actually think that your profile would be a quick shoo-in for most of these programs. If you are already doing some technical work (programming/modelling) then getting reference letters from co-workers at a top tier bank about your work projects and performance would be a stronger testament to technical ability than a math undergrad degree. Plus you have the CFA and MBA. My profile was a finance undergrad and some years of experience at a bank and it was sufficient for admission to several of these programs.

In terms of the heavy workload that you mention, frankly I think spending time trudging to school and sitting in lectures and doing homework on topics that may or may not be that relevant for work is a heavier unnecessary load than if you picked up an online course and a textbook to do at your will.

Getting a technical graduate degree at any of these programs and doing it part-time while working full-time is a difficult (and long) endeavor. I think fastest is 2 years and longest maybe 4 years for part-time, and you will not have a life then.

But if you're looking for subject matter but also brand name / degree recognition then it might be worth it.

What you said make sense, my main aim is to get desired skill-sets for delivering in my job. I am at a good place with potential to move in PM role in couple of years' time. I have seen that quant is one area where PM should be good specifically for converting his stock selection and allocation ideas to a systematic model. Self study does appeal to me a lot and I tried to look around for couple of certificate programs but I could find only one offered online by Stanford. Stats is good area but I am looking for program which is heavy on econometric s and financial time series analysis. I found these two skill sets most important for my role today and in future. I am not looking for a brand name as a career switch or landing job is not what I desire, primarily it is subject matter knowledge, what I am looking for.

Back