• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

part time phd programs

Where there's a will, there's a way.

Read the story of Robert Frey,

http://www.ams.sunysb.edu/~frey/

who obtained nearly all of his education as a part-time student at Stony Brook (a state university located about 60 miles east of New York City, on Long Island) and is now the head of the quantitative finance program there.

http://www.ams.sunysb.edu/~frey/QuantitativeFinance/index.html

Jim Simons (founder of Renaissance Technologies, located just down the road from Stony Brook) was the chairman of the mathematics department at that university from 1968 to 1976 before venturing into finance. Jim Simons and his wife Marilyn have been especially generous with Stony Brook:

http://commcgi.cc.stonybrook.edu/am...s_Simons_And_Wife_Marilyn_A_Ph_D_Alumna.shtml

Robert Frey spent 12 years as Jim Simon's right hand at Renaissance from 1992 to 2004.

Note in particular the final page of Frey's resume, which describes his academic background:
http://www.ams.sunysb.edu/~frey/Biographical/Resume_RJFrey_20060907_11.pdf

So, I would conjecture that your best chance for pursuing such studies on a part-time basis is to establish an exemplary record in earlier (undergraduate and/or masters-level) studies at some university, and then aim to continue your doctoral studies at that same school.

As the faculty there would already know you, they may thus be more amenable to agreeing to allow such part-time studies.

There is a guy who works in the same building at me, who appears to be doing a part time Phd with a University in the UK (we are on the East Coast of the US). He spends 6 weeks a year over there and the rest of the time here. Not sure exactly what the setup is, but I'd never heard of it before until he mentioned it over lunch.

There is a guy who works in the same building at me, who appears to be doing a part time Phd with a University in the UK (we are on the East Coast of the US). He spends 6 weeks a year over there and the rest of the time here. Not sure exactly what the setup is, but I'd never heard of it before until he mentioned it over lunch.

The problem isn't actually physically being in the university unless you do your research in something that requires you to be in a lab and even then if you have a few master and bachelor students under your supervision you don't have to be there.

The question is if you will be able to do adequate research while being part time , when I say adequate I don't even mean in that you will get the PhD, that's not the problem, I mean adequate to your standards and to make the time and effort spent worth it (beside having another meaning less diploma).

Hi all,

Are there any part-time PhDs around? Maybe PhD in Finance or Financial Engineering/Computational Finance?

If there are, which ones are the good ones?

Thanks,
Chris.

I have to say that this is a very interesting topic.
The pro/con of doing full time vs part time degree is something that I contemplate very often.

In my opinion the main question is if the extra time you will be able to spend on the PhD will make you a better candidate than doing it part time and earning years of experience.

Lets assume that only full time PhD is available than I would have to say that unless you have 2-4 years of relevant job experience don't go into the PhD program or you'll end up being the "perpetual student".

The problem is that after 2-4 years of job experience you will find yourself having a hard time getting into a top PhD program (for the reasons just google) .. this is the paradox that every PhD who wants to get into the industry or every professional who wants to get a PhD has to deal with. Off topic - many entry-level jobs require 2-4 years of experience, but many fresh grads have nil experience

The problem is that after 2-4 years of job experience you will find yourself having a hard time getting into a top PhD program (for the reasons just google) .. this is the paradox that every PhD who wants to get into the industry or every professional who want to get a PhD has to deal with. Off topic - many entry-level jobs require 2-4 years of experience, but many fresh grads have nil experience

Are you talking about part time or full time? I see no reason why work experience will hinder you if you want to go to a full-time PhD.

@ Ohad I was referring to full time. These days finance, economics and related PhD programs are becoming more like mathematics and science programs, which are relatively harder for someone with many years of work experience to get in. One of the many reasons is because the main focus of these programs is to produce qualified professors/researchers in academia (some professors will even simply refuse/be reluctant to work with you if you've already expressed your strong interest in joining the industry)

@ Ohad I was referring to full time. These days finance, economics and related PhD programs are becoming more like mathematics and science programs, which are relatively harder for someone with many years of work experience to get in. One of the many reasons is because the main focus of these programs is to produce qualified professors/researchers in academia (some professors will even simply refuse/be reluctant to work with you if you've already expressed your strong interest in joining the industry)

I never heard of this phenomena , also, at least around here, the number of academia jobs is basically ZERO so this isn't really the issue.
I also see no real reason for a Professor to refuse taking someone who will quit his jobs to come do a PhD, but if you say so than I guess you're not making that up.

I never heard of this phenomena , also, at least around here, the number of academia jobs is basically ZERO so this isn't really the issue.
I also see no real reason for a Professor to refuse taking someone who will quit his jobs to come do a PhD, but if you say so than I guess you're not making that up.

Here is a good article that discusses why and why not to get a PhD in economics, might give you some ideas. I am not on any of the admission committees, so please don't quote on me ;) :

http://economics.about.com/od/applyingtograduateschool/a/why_economics.htm

Here is a good article that discusses why and why not to get a PhD in economics, might give you some ideas. I am not on any of the admission committees, so please don't quote on me ;) :

http://economics.about.com/od/applyingtograduateschool/a/why_economics.htm

I'm far from being an expert on economics but I don't think that his first point is way off.
I can't remember any economics theorem that involves crazy mathematical fireworks which is quite logical since abstract mathematics is usually very far from real life...for example N-dimension complex fractional differential equations etc.

...abstract mathematics is usually very far from real life...for example N-dimension complex fractional differential equations etc.

Actually sometimes in some economic fields dependence on financial modeling and complex mathematics have become an integral part of real life - I think you agree.

Derivatives, VARs, Investment theories are unimaginable without everyday involvement in intimidating math. Exactly N-dimensional PCA analysis, PDEs in pricing theories, stochastic processes have become an integral part of everyday real life.

Actually sometimes in some economic fields dependence on financial modeling and complex mathematics have become an integral part of real life - I think you agree.

Derivatives, VARs, Investment theories are unimaginable without everyday involvement in intimidating math. Exactly N-dimensional PCA analysis, PDEs in pricing theories, stochastic processes have become an integral part of everyday real life.

I think that we don't agree on the terms we use.
When I think complex mathematics I don't think of PDE and doing some expectancy values of some variables.

When I think high end pure mathematics I think more of the 1000 page Fermat last theorem proof :)

Back