• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

part time phd programs

Som

Hi,
Does anyone know of any part time phd programs in economics/finance in the new york/new jersey area?

I don't think if such exists at top universities. Mainly all the PhD finance/economic programs are full time.

So instead of 5-7 years, it will take 10-14 years part time?

I only know of GSU that has a professional DBA program. Executive PhD.

I am glad you guys found this topic so amusing-;)...I had also heard there was one offered from CUNY

I don't think part-time PhD brings much unless you are working.

@alain I have heard of a few people who have completed part time phds while working and I just wanted to know if that was a viable option

@alain I have heard of a few people who have completed part time phds while working and I just wanted to know if that was a viable option
There is nothing wrong with that. Read again the post I replied to.

What does that even mean?

That means that unless you are limited in time then full time PhD is a better way to go. Most top universities provide full time PhD and these programs are much better recognized than part time programs (which I personally haven't even heard of). So if you have some job responsibilities the only way is to search for part time. That's what I meant.

There is a reason why almost all schools require PhD students to be full time students.

There is a reason why almost all schools require PhD students to be full time students.

First, from the pure academic point of view, being full time guarantees more time devotion
and concentration on research rather than being part-time where you might have multiple responsibilities
(job,for family reasons,etc). Second of all, full time students graduate earlier than part-time
students. At the top universities where less than 6% get admitted, it is logical
to expect that the doctoral policy be set to receive only full time students.

I have to say that this is a very interesting topic.
The pro/con of doing full time vs part time degree is something that I contemplate very often.

In my opinion the main question is if the extra time you will be able to spend on the PhD will make you a better candidate than doing it part time and earning years of experience.

Lets assume that only full time PhD is available than I would have to say that unless you have 2-4 years of relevant job experience don't go into the PhD program or you'll end up being the "perpetual student".

Back