• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Path to becoming a PM

What's the best path to becoming a portfoli0 manager?
Say if I have three opportunities at hand:
quantitative research developer (equity, FX, etc, risk modeling, simulations, data analytics ...)
credit analytic developer (risk management, stochastic process, large scale distributed system, multithreading ...)
software engineer (everything related to computer science)

As a starting point, which one should I go with? I understand that I can switch in a couple of years if I don't like what I'll have been working on. But I just want to set off on the right foot so I don't waste too much time.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

I don't know if any of those jobs will lead to portfolio manager.

Just my opinion but I think Quantitative research developer (or anything that gets you working with valuations and portfolio construction, factor tilting, etc..) is best bet out of the 3 but none are a direct route. If ur looking for traditional PM role, then the path looks something like Research Associate -> Investment Analyst -> Associate PM -> PM. This is just a rough outline and could very well differ by institutions and geography.

Last edited:
Just my opinion but I think Quantitative research developer (or anything that gets you working with valuations and portfolio construction, factor tilting, etc..) is best bet out of the 3 but none are a direct route. If ur looking for traditional PM role, then the path looks something like Research Associate -> Investment Analyst -> Associate PM -> PM. This is just a rough outline and could very well differ from institutions and geography.

I'm more interested in the PM in a hedge fund or investment bank - the kind of position where you take on risk and get rewarded generously if you make it, similar to trader role.

I'm more interested in the PM in a hedge fund or investment bank - the kind of position where you take on risk and get rewarded generously if you make it, similar to trader role.
non of them ain't gonna work.

Just my opinion but I think Quantitative research developer (or anything that gets you working with valuations and portfolio construction, factor tilting, etc..) is best bet out of the 3 but none are a direct route. If ur looking for traditional PM role, then the path looks something like Research Associate -> Investment Analyst -> Associate PM -> PM. This is just a rough outline and could very well differ by institutions and geography.
I don't see any of those IT jobs in the path you mentioned.

coming to ask in the point.

Can you work as a PM/AM with a mfe degree, given the fact you are a finance major?
I want to go MFE to enchance my quant analysis and my math knowledge but be it risk management or modelling, i want to have a window open for portfolio managemet.

Thank you.

What's the best path to becoming a portfoli0 manager?
Say if I have three opportunities at hand:
quantitative research developer (equity, FX, etc, risk modeling, simulations, data analytics ...)
credit analytic developer (risk management, stochastic process, large scale distributed system, multithreading ...)
software engineer (everything related to computer science)

As a starting point, which one should I go with? I understand that I can switch in a couple of years if I don't like what I'll have been working on. But I just want to set off on the right foot so I don't waste too much time.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Since none of the paths you mentioned lead you anywhere near being a PM, your best chance of becoming a PM is to interact often with those who can, at some point, shift you into another path that gets you such opportunities. Each of the paths mentioned can, given the right role and organization, lead to plentiful interaction of that type. And then again, each can lead you to almost no interaction. A lot is going to depend on your personality and mindset and exact situation.

Back