• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Pen+Paper = 19th century. Wacom tablets = FUTURE

Perhaps I got lucky then.

I wasn't aware they'd stopped selling them. That must be a very recent development. They were still available from them (new) a little over a month ago.

Andy's post inspired me to necro this thread.

If anyone is interested in a very cheap tablet compute to take notes on in school I strongly recommend the Motion LE1600. The View Anywhere model is optimal but will run you $100 extra. The standard version has a pretty dim screen but the note taking experience is excellent.

If you keep an eye on ebay every once in a while the LE1600 sells for around $100 - which is amazing.

example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/LE1600-TABL...10357553?pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item3cc56dfd31

...and this is the ViewAnywhere model! Let's see what it goes for.

I currently use the Asus EEE Tablet which I am very happy with, but that costs $700+. The writing experience on the LE1600 is on par with the Asus.

*edit* the battery life on these units is usually between bad and awful, so expect to carry around an adapter.

Really. You people are so one dimensional when it comes to computers. I've recommended macs before, and I'll recommend another Apple product again:

iPad + Wacom pen

Does everything you want with minimal size + cost.

You people? ;)

But seriously I don't know your tech background but the iPad is a mess when taking notes. You can get the best pen in the world to work with it. The fact is the screen itself is a touch screen; not a Wacom screen. That means that the accuracy will pale in comparison to true Wacom tablets.

Side note: minimize cost? Last I saw the iPad (+ pen) was slightly more than $100. Unless you kow something you are not sharing with us...

You people? ;)

But seriously I don't know your tech background but the iPad is a mess when taking notes. You can get the best pen in the world to work with it. The fact is the screen itself is a touch screen; not a Wacom screen. That means that the accuracy will pale in comparison to true Wacom tablets.

Side note: minimize cost? Last I saw the iPad (+ pen) was slightly more than $100. Unless you kow something you are not sharing with us...

Hold on. When you say wacom tablet you mean the black pad + pen? (Wacom bamboo or whatever it's called - I have one). If so, then they're pretty decent, but if you want portability you have to carry your laptop + the tablet. Where as with the iPad - you just carry the pad + the pen.

No. If you take a Motion Computing, Samsung Series 7, or Asus EEE Tablet and unscrew it you will see a chip about 3"X2" directly behind the monitor (centered and plugged into the LCD). This directs the magnetic output of the wacom pen very accurately to where you place the pen. The pen doesn't even have to touch the screen for the tablet to realize where you are holding it.

Really. You people are so one dimensional when it comes to computers. I've recommended macs before, and I'll recommend another Apple product again:

iPad + Wacom pen

Does everything you want with minimal size + cost.

Capacitance screens are light years away from a resistance screens when it comes to precision. I love the Apple products (you can search around here and you will see it right away) but nothing compares to a Wacom pen/digitizer combo that MRoss is talking about.

I tried the iPad with multiple pens (including the Wacom one) and the experience doesn't come close to the precision of a Thinkpad Tablet PC. I did most of my last grad degree writting on a tablet PC. You can say the iPad is lighter but taking notes on it is not as good as taking notes on a tablet PC with a Wacom digitizer.

If you can, I would wait until Windows 8 launches, as many new tablets will come out then, including new models from Lenovo and Samsung that are rumored to be upgraded versions of the Thinkpad and Series 7 tablets. I think the majority of manufacturers will have one released by the end of 2012, so if you can make it through fall with what you have now, there might be some good options available for you later.

I had the Samsung Series 7. Though I have only good news to report the screen was way too narrow for my liking. It felt like I was writing on a ruler.

I now use the Asus EP121. I found one on ebay with a little bend on the side and as such got it for $560 :)

It is very solid.

I am not sure I understand your question. The most UTD Wacom tablets are Samsung Series 7 and Asus EP121

Both of the products you recommended are tablet PCs.
Hence, they are really overkills for me and out of my price range.
I am looking for something less functional, maybe runs on Android that also have a very good handwriting experience.

What you want does not exist.

You can buy a Wacom slate that plugs USB into the computer. However, it is a black slate and when you write it appears on the screen. I find it very difficult to write this way. The versions that have screen cost $1,000+ and weigh a ton.

Wacom doesn't let their equipment be implemented cheaply. I know this is why many companies used n-trig for a while... the they realize the technology doesn't compare to Wacom.

It is hard to imagine that there is not one tablets that support Wacom tech....

Back to my post. Most of the tablets nowadays use capacitance screens. They are meant to be used with your fingers not with a stylus. Even Steve Jobs criticized the stylus to no end. The resistance screens need a special stylus but they are the best thing to take notes and write. Samsung has some sort of phone that comes with a stylus. Hopefully, they make a tablet with the same thing.

Here's a little update:
Asus Eee Note EA800 apparently is designed for note taking and drawing. It does use Wacom tech.
However, it's incredibly hard to come by and it's not a color screen and does little other than writing....

The Galaxy Note 10.1" should be out soon. It is the tablet followup to the phone Alain referenced. It will run Android 4.0 and use the same Wacom tech found in the 5.3" Galaxy Note. I currently use the Series 7 Slate and sync all my notes/homework to Skydrive using OneNote 2010. It gets about 5 hours of note taking on a charge. Prior to the S7S, I used a Fujitsu Q550 which gets about 7 hours of note taking on a charge, but uses an Atom CPU and NTrig digitizer. If you live in OneNote, you won't notice either shortcoming on the Q550 very often.

Back