• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Perquisite course to take

I am currently pursuing computer science (3rd year) at a college in India. I'd like to move into an mfe programme in the future. During my next semester I have to make a choice between a few courses to take. Stochastic processes is one of the course being offered and there is also applied statistics (time series analysis), machine learning and AI. Out of the latter three courses I'm allowed to take only two of them and stochastic processes is an option I need not even touch. But since it plays a huge role in an mfe programme I am considering taking it but it could really make my course work a living hell(with all the other tough courses) Thoughts on whether stochastic processes could help during my application, or should I just drop it and focus on my other courses?

It depends somewhat on the program. Check the websites for the programs you're interested in, and go from there. I have a strong preference for acquiring foundation knowledge prior to advanced course work. Time series sounds like a nice balance between AI (advanced) and Stochastic processes. AI / ML courses seem to be a mixed mag - many of them are essentially recipe books which don't get into theory or implementation, but show you the library and have you learn by analogy.

Back