• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

PhD ECE seeking to switch to finance

I am actually a PhD candidate in ECE at Georgia Tech and wanted to explore opportunities in Finance. I will be getting an additional masters in maths here(with two courses stochastic processes for finance and financial data analysis). My research is the area of signal processing, in fact more in image processing. I use more PDE and differential geometry based method though I used wavelet and traditional methods before as well. I had earlier due to interdisciplinary nature of my work switched from aerospace engineering(where I did more control theory stuff) to ECE. I ended up getting a master in AE also that time. Obviously I think that more degrees hurt(3 masters(ECE,AE,MATH) after a time I should show only math and ECE competence and not AE degree. Any suggestions?

Also I am planning to give CFa level 1 in december. I want a job more in back/middle office at the buy side. I don't like too much coding so I would like a job which involve more math and finance and moderate coding. Will CFA help in that regard and what are the possibilities? Also I think I would like to go more for back/middle office jobs in buyer side which have 55 hours week rather than too stressful jobs. Kindly help as I am confused about what to do and what best to do with my skillset? Is a school like Georgia Tech which is just good in engineering good to get into wall street?

I also have a PHD

I also have a PHD in EE with emphasis on signal processing.

I got my job based on my Visual Studio C family of languages experience, plus extensive math background.

I think that you are in good shape, but try to learn as much as you can.

Interest rate amoratization and how to short a stock are good places to start.

Hi, Guys!!

I'm also finishing my PhD with my work mainly focusing on algorithms for speech enhancement such as dereverberation. I don't use C/C++ very often but with MATLAB.

Have you guys start job hunting recently??

Back