• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

PhD. in Computer Science Quant Career Prospects

slp

I'm currently pursuing a MSE in Computer Science and am most likely going to get a PhD (concentrating in machine learning or artificial intelligence). I've entertained the idea of going to a hedge-fund or some financial firm after the completion of my schooling; however, I'm not certain how good of an applicant I would be/what type of positions I would qualify for. I want to make it clear that I'm not going into a CS PhD program so that I can go into finance afterwards, but I'd like to know how feasible of a transition it would be for me.
I went to a prestigious undergrad program/masters program and will most likely attend a comparable PhD program. From what I can tell, my programming skills/math skills (completed my undergrad with a BS in Mathematics and my masters/PhD is/will be extremely quantitatively oriented) are highly desirable, but will my lack of financial knowledge prohibit me from landing a good position? Also, as a PhD. in CS, what type of positions can I expect to start off in/what's a reasonable salary expectation?

Thanks in advance.

any buyside role doesn't really require any finance knowledge at the beginning of your career, especially if you're in algorithmic/hf space.

will my lack of financial knowledge prohibit me from landing a good position?
Employers would choose a great CS/programmer without finance experience any day. Finance knowledge is easy to train/obtain while CS/math/programming skill is much harder/longer to obtain.
Also, look into big data, another field that have growing need for CS PhD grads.

Employers would choose a great CS/programmer without finance experience any day. Finance knowledge is easy to train/obtain while CS/math/programming skill is much harder/longer to obtain.
Also, look into big data, another field that have growing need for CS PhD grads.

Thank you! I'm most likely going to stick with something CS related, but it's nice to know that I have additional options.

Back