• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

PhD offer advice

I have a couple of PhD offers to consider, appreciate any advice you can give me as to which one I should take if I want to work in finance in the future.

UCL - fluid dynamics/molecular dynamics - working on simulation codes for non-newtonian fluids using the lattice-boltzman method - the codes will be running on the world's largest supercomputer with ~ 650,000 processors. Very high performance computing oriented - highly parallel code. Downside - the codes are in FORTRAN.

Oxford - laser physics - mostly experimental but a chance to do about 30% numerical simulations.

Cambridge - superconductivity or surface physics - Both mainly experimental with the chance to do about 30% theory (in the SC case) or 30% computational (in the surface case).

Imperial - Space physics - analysing data from satellites to test atmospheric physics models - numerical simulations of the models, and also model building. Think I can use any language I want.

I have to make the choice by today, so I'd appreciate some speedy responses
face-icon-small-smile.gif

Cambridge is a nice place to live. Oxford to a (slightly?) lesser extent. And London sucks. Knock UCL off your list at once. Imperial, of course, is also in London but you will have to decide. I would choose Cambridge -- nice place to live and the company of some of the smartest people on the planet.

Well, I'm already at Cambridge, and I hate it, so I'm not sure I agree that it's a nice place to live. Subjective opinions about whether a particular city is nicer, what do you think about the merits of the projects and the institutions themselves?

I have a couple of PhD offers to consider, appreciate any advice you can give me as to which one I should take if I want to work in finance in the future.
I have to make the choice by today, so I'd appreciate some speedy responses
face-icon-small-smile.gif
If you want to work in finance in the future, then you better study finance now.

Well, I'm already at Cambridge, and I hate it, so I'm not sure I agree that it's a nice place to live. Subjective opinions about whether a particular city is nicer, what do you think about the merits of the projects and the institutions themselves?

It's a toss-up between Cambridge and Imperial. For physics in general, Cambridge is at the top of the heap, followed by Imperial. What I like about the Imperial project is the testing of models and your latitude in choosing a language.

If you don't like Cambridge, I wonder how well you will like London -- dirty, congested, exorbitantly expensive. Ah well.

Back