• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MFE Phone call from Columbia MFE admissions ?

I guess the financial crisis screwed all of us. When I was sophomore and junior, it was at the heat of the crisis. I was not able to find any internship at all. Without any internship, it was very hard for me to land on a good full time job this year. As a result, I resorted to apply to graduate school and hoped to have a better job prospect after that. I guess a lot of students in the US, especially international students who attend colleges in the US have the similar situation, and share the same mentality.

Sadly, I haven't heard back from Columbia either. I am not sure if I could get into CMU, NYU or Cornell, given these are more competitive programs after all. But best luck to all of us!

You can get an internship now... I don't think you have to be in college to get an internship (of course during college it's easier to get an internship).
I think Cornell is not as competitive as Columbia, its harder to get into Columbia, IMO.

I disagree. Let's wait until tomorrow and see what happens. We also don't know how many will accept their offer, which could open up a lot of spots for everyone else.
But according to Andys post today was the last day they would send offers . Based on that fact I assume noones got a mail.

Anyways wish you luck...

But according to Andys post today was the last day they would send offers . Based on that fact I assume noones got a mail.

Anyways wish you luck...

But they can't even know how many people will or won't accept the offer anyways. So how can they possibly be done? I know they base it on previous years but this year could still be at least a little bit different.

I disagree. Let's wait until tomorrow and see what happens. We also don't know how many will accept their offer, which could open up a lot of spots for everyone else.
I don't think they put applicants on the waitlist. Plus, those who got in are not going to decline the offer by tomorrow...

You can get an internship now... I don't think you have to be in college to get an internship (of course during college it's easier to get an internship).
I think Cornell is not as competitive as Columbia, its harder to get into Columbia, IMO.

Em....probably because Columbia has great reputation for its Bschool? I will be very satisfied with Cornell, and prefer 1.5 year in general. But anyway, good luck tomorrow!

Em....probably because Columbia has great reputation for its Bschool? I will be very satisfied with Cornell, and prefer 1.5 year in general. But anyway, good luck tomorrow!
I will be satisfied with Cornell, CMU or Baruch. All of them are amazing programs and with outstanding placements.

Good luck !

@roni & jaih.
I know some one got admitted without interview.
But it seems to be the only one so far.

@roni...mate, have u interviewed with baruch ?
I haven't submitted my application yet. Everything is ready, a few last touches and I'm submitting it.... probably by Monday.
What about you ? and as far as I know, Baruch doesn't interview all of its applicants.

@roni...
best of luck for ur application......
u r right, they do not interview all applicants...but luckily, i have been interviewed and waiting for the result( would be coming in this week, thas what they told me!) . Fingers crossed!
But Columbia..oh man.,...they have kept so many ppl on PENDING status...i am sure they will be bombarded with phone calls on 1st march during daytime in NY.

once the final mails are sent out I guess disappointment will take over. I am sure they must have anticipated such a huge no of applications. They could have offered more seats.

and when should we expect that MASS MAIL :( ? today?
i dont know, there is still a part of me hoping that they will extend march 1 deadline in same way as they extended feb 3rd week result deadline!!!

@roni...
best of luck for ur application......
u r right, they do not interview all applicants...but luckily, i have been interviewed and waiting for the result( would be coming in this week, thas what they told me!) . Fingers crossed!
But Columbia..oh man.,...they have kept so many ppl on PENDING status...i am sure they will be bombarded with phone calls on 1st march during daytime in NY.

Good luck !! hope you aced the interview.
And, whatever Columbia is doing is just not right. Every day they accept a few students and let the others wait. They should have used the way Princeton, MIT and CMU are using. These schools send out results on 1 day and not in an interval of 2-3 weeks.
I just don't care if I get rejected, I'm sick of looking at the word "Pending", can't handle it anymore, lol...

once the final mails are sent out I guess disappointment will take over. I am sure they must have anticipated such a huge no of applications. They could have offered more seats.

Since there is such a big demand, they should start accepting applications for the spring semesters as well.
They will have a lot of graduates in a year, but at least all of them won't graduate at the same time.

However, programs like MIT and Princeton also have a HUGE amount of applicants, yet, the amount of accepted applicants don't grow by much (maybe they have changed it for this year).

and when should we expect that MASS MAIL :( ? today?
i dont know, there is still a part of me hoping that they will extend march 1 deadline in same way as they extended feb 3rd week result deadline!!!
Yep, they said before or on March 1st.
And, I don't think they will extend it, because Andy spoke with them and they said that yesterday was the last day they were accepting.

Good luck !! hope you aced the interview.
And, whatever Columbia is doing is just not right. Every day they accept a few students and let the others wait. They should have used the way Princeton, MIT and CMU are using. These schools send out results on 1 day and not in an interval of 2-3 weeks.
I just don't care if I get rejected, I'm sick of looking at the word "Pending", can't handle it anymore, lol...
its a result oriented world mate....only if i get an admit from baruch then i would say that i aced the interview. :D
srsly..columbia has made mess of this!

This guy
http://www.quantnet.com/forum/members/michaelkraus.6345/

has cracked Princeton and is still Pending(like most of us) for Columbia MFE.So, if they have filled out their seats/admits etc that means they havent taken the best students( ?) because there are ppl like him sitting out and still waiting.....He is on quantnet and has shared his profile ...just think of the no. of people not on this site , have good profiles and still waiting...

Back