• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MFE Phone call from Columbia MFE admissions ?

This guy
http://www.quantnet.com/forum/members/michaelkraus.6345/

has cracked Princeton and is still Pending(like most of us) for Columbia MFE.So, if they have filled out their seats/admits etc that means they havent taken the best students( ?) because there are ppl like him sitting out and still waiting.....He is on quantnet and has shared his profile ...just think of the no. of people not on this site , have good profiles and still waiting...

Maybe he got in but never updated his profile. He was last seen on Feb 18.
But look, they don't know that he got into Princeton or that he aced the interviews. So, go figure....

Honestly, I think that it is unfair of them to send us that pending email and let us know that we "may" be interviewed. It gives everyone a false sense of hope. They should have only contacted people as they began interviewing them. But overall, this has been a messy process. Columbia is my top choice school, so I am not feeling too great now :(

Honestly, I think that it is unfair of them to send us that pending email and let us know that we "may" be interviewed. It gives everyone a false sense of hope. They should have only contacted people as they began interviewing them. But overall, this has been a messy process. Columbia is my top choice school, so I am not feeling too great now :(
Which other schools did you apply to ?

NYU, BU ..I'll be applying to Baruch and Columbia's Math Fin program soon.
what's wrong with NYU ? I like its curriculum very much. And, after reading the MAMF review on Quantnet, I don't want to be there. I don't know if the guy who reviewed the program is representative, but according to him, the program is a waste of time and money.

Good luck with your other applications !

what's wrong with NYU ? I like its curriculum very much. And, after reading the MAMF review on Quantnet, I don't want to be there. I don't know if the guy who reviewed the program is representative, but according to him, the program is a waste of time and money.

Good luck with your other applications !
I have also applied to NYU...can u pls paste the link of the forum that u mentioned above..thnx a lot

can not agree more....

NYU is less flexible than Columbia. I liked Columbia's 4 concentration options as it allowed for some level flexibility. Goodluck with your other applications as well! Lets hope that we will receive some positive news soon!

NYU is less flexible than Columbia. I liked Columbia's 4 concentration options as it allowed for some level flexibility. Goodluck with your other applications as well! Lets hope that we will receive some positive news soon!
Thanks for the insight but if someone has written a detailed report/analysis on NYU's prog..that wud be lovely to read
good luck 2 u too bud...are u an international applicant? if so, from where?

Columbia should have only sent interview invites once they reviewed all application. As they read applications they sent invites and thats the reason they missed out applications later. Its the biggest fall back to good applications

Columbia should have only sent interview invites once they reviewed all application. As they read applications they sent invites and thats the reason they missed out applications later. Its the biggest fall back to good applications
I just hope that they did not select 100 odd students from first 600-700 applications that they laid their hands on...
That would be so cruel to remaining 300 odd applicants.

I just hope that they did not select 100 odd students from first 600-700 applications that they laid their hands on...
That would be so cruel to remaining 300 odd applicants.

I won't be surprised if they stopped reviewing once they hit 90-100 applicants.
I'd be really pissed, but there is no way to know :\
I'm wondering what if there is some brilliant kid but his application is in the bottom of the application pile ?

Btw, last year they were sending out decisions until March 5th and they weren't interviewing nor did they have over 1K applications.

I honestly don't understand their procedure. When I received that "still under review" email, I was under the assumption that I was on a wait list because quite a few people received rejection letters on the same day. I doubt that they didn't assess the entire applicant pool before sending out decisions. If they did, then the sole reason we received the email was because they hadn't read our application by that time. I am also disheartened because Andy said that they won't be offering MSOR to any MFE applicants. Its just the worst news ever.

I honestly don't understand their procedure. When I received that "still under review" email, I was under the assumption that I was on a wait list because quite a few people received rejection letters on the same day. I doubt that they didn't assess the entire applicant pool before sending out decisions. If they did, then the sole reason we received the email was because they hadn't read our application by that time. I am also disheartened because Andy said that they won't be offering MSOR to any MFE applicants. Its just the worst news ever.
yes....amongst all the negativity i was hoping to get into OR if not FE...but that train is gone too..

there's no use speculating ... maybe there could be a waitlist that Andys 's post didnt mention .. ..I think we should wait for the next email ....

yes....amongst all the negativity i was hoping to get into OR if not FE...but that train is gone too..

I won't be surprised if they stopped reviewing once they hit 90-100 applicants.
I'd be really pissed, but there is no way to know :\
I'm wondering what if there is some brilliant kid but his application is in the bottom of the application pile ?

Btw, last year they were sending out applications until March 5th and they weren't interviewing nor did they have over 1K applications.
Just hope that Andy is proved wrong and they extend their process by few more weeks..

Guys, if we do not get any email and anybody calls them..pls let the ppl on the forum know abt ur conversation.thnks

Back