• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MFE Phone call from Columbia MFE admissions ?

Yesterday, I was saying that the game is still on...
But, from Andy's post, it looks like the game is over...
frown.png

Honestly, our chances look slim...
rolleyes.png

Reading the posts, it looks like people are hoping against hope that they will get an admit...
Even I would like to hope so, but things don't look too bright
frown.png

The email (on the 15th) from Columbia sounded quite optimistic. It looked as though we would get an interview call.
Anyways, if Andy has spoken to the director of the program, then....
Sorry to sound glum...

The email (on the 15th) from Columbia sounded quite optimistic. It looked as though we would get an interview call.
Anyways, if Andy has spoken to the director of the program, then....
Sorry to sound glum...
A friend of mine had got that mail on the 15th and he got a reject on the 25th. No point believing such mails.

A friend of mine had got that mail on the 15th and he got a reject on the 25th. No point believing such mails.

Well, then it is probably time to accept reality and move on...
Nothing we can do about it
smile.png

its not guaranteed that they will do something in the morning...the game could go till their evening also!...but one thing for sure..stress levels would definitely rise till we get to hear something from them.

@garry At this point, all we can do is wait. I'll try to call the admissions office in a few hours and will let everyone know if I hear anything important.

I'm sitting and tweeting from Derman's class right now. I talked with their directors and here are the breaking news.
The MSFE has over 1000 applicants this year, their all time record high.
They will admit around 90-100 people this year for a class size of 60.
A handful of admit will be sent out today and that is it for this year.
No MFE applicant will be offered MSOR this year.
Hi Andy. Since nobody received any emails yesterday on this thread do we conclude anything out of this? I mean is it over for everyone here

Thank you Andy. Actually, I have no expectations at all (neither + nor -). Do you know if they will give admit without interviews?
The reason I don;t have high expectations for Columbia is that I have made a lot of changes in my applications since, from essays to grades among other things. Having its deadline earlier than the other programs means that.

any reason why they have a record high applications this year?
Good question. I have been talking to the dept representatives for past few months and when we met again yesterday, we both surprised at the number this year. One explanation I was offered is that the dept has done a much better job with selling their program on their website. They have put 4 separate tracks for the MSFE program which help to widen their appeals to people without hard core technical skills.

In a nutshell, these electives courses are what they have been offering all along, but now when packaged and labeled in a way that people can associate themselves to, for example, people without programming skills see they can do Finance and Economics track while more technical/engineering background people can choose to do Computational Finance.

When you offer people choices, you get more sales. This is a very smart decision by Columbia this year and it clearly pays off in the record application number. While I don't believe this single change is the sole reason, as someone who run a website, I surely can agree that a better representation of data would only help.

Andy, can you please shed some light on the reason why MSOR won't accept MSFE rejects this year?

Good question. I have been talking to the dept representatives for past few months and when we met again yesterday, we both surprised at the number this year. One explanation I was offered is that the dept has done a much better job with selling their program on their website. They have put 4 separate tracks for the MSFE program which help to widen their appeals to people without hard core technical skills.
I guess another factor is that some borderline people apply for MFE thinking if they cannot make it, they have a chance of being directed to MSOR.

Back