• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MFE Phone call from Columbia MFE admissions ?

Looks like there are two kinds of rejection emails. One is absolute reject, the other asks if you want to be redirected to MSOR. Andy, your source was wrong about this.

Is there anyone who had an interview but hasn't recieved any sort of response yet? I did mine on 2/25 but haven't recieved any e-mail yet. No update in my application status either. It still says pending.

Is there anyone who had an interview but hasn't recieved any sort of response yet? I did mine on 2/25 but haven't recieved any e-mail yet. No update in my application status either. It still says pending.
Yes Eugene, I am in the same situation. I was interviewed on Friday but haven't had any updates since then. I'm wondering what is going on. Do you intend to call them?

Morning emails = complete rejection
Afternoon emails= redirection to MSOR
Evening emails = ?

Good luck.

you were redirected, it doesn't mean you were accepted.
Oh no, that means i could be rejected twice.
frown.png

hey guys, I was redirected to MSOR. Do you guys have any ideas of the odds of getting in to MSOR? Does it mean that we will be admitted if we tell them that we are very interested in it?

hey guys, I was redirected to MSOR. Do you guys have any ideas of the odds of getting in to MSOR? Does it mean that we will be admitted if we tell them that we are very interested in it?
No, if you tell them you are interested, they will start considering your application for the MSOR. It's not a guarantee or anything.

So can anyone confirm that no admit was given today?
As for the MSOR email, my take is that Columbia is constantly adjusting their intake in both pools (MSFE and MSOR) based on demand and yield rate so far.
If the MSOR yield rate is lower than expected, they will have to send some MSFE rejects to that program.
Despite what they told me yesterday, they have to do what best for them TODAY if that means sending more high quality applicants to MSOR.

No, if you tell them you are interested, they will start considering your application for the MSOR. It's not a guarantee or anything.
Wow....Then it will be another hell round of waiting.....Do you have any idea of when the decision will be out for our cases then?

If the MSOR yield rate is lower than expected, they will have to send some MSFE rejects to that program.
Despite what they told me yesterday, they have to do what best for them TODAY if that means sending more high quality applicants to MSOR.

Hi Andy,

Thx for sharing! Judging from what you said, am I right to speculate that the chances of getting in to MSOR is high in our redirecting cases? What is the previous stats for such admission?

So can anyone confirm that no admit was given today?
As for the MSOR email, my take is that Columbia is constantly adjusting their intake in both pools (MSFE and MSOR) based on demand and yield rate so far.
Andy, is there any previous years data about the admission rate of the students who were redirected to MSOR program?

Yes Eugene, I am in the same situation. I was interviewed on Friday but haven't had any updates since then. I'm wondering what is going on. Do you intend to call them?

Bronson, I don't know. I am just going to wait and enjoy this moment of constantly waiting and checking back while at work. I will definitely start calling tomorrow morning at 8 am if I don't hear anything today.

I was directed to MSOR too...

But it seems many ppl were directed....does this mean we have another game?

Bronson, I don't know. I am just going to wait and enjoy this moment of constantly waiting and checking back while at work. I will definitely start calling tomorrow morning at 8 am if I don't hear anything today.

Hey, I am in the same situation. Interview on Feb 17th but still pending now.
I am in China and it is not easy to get up so early!

Back