• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Please Advice | Have Non Relevant Work-Exp

Hi,

I am in a great dilemma right now. I have a BTech in IT and MBA Finance (with Thesis on conditional CAPM). But the problem is I have a 2.5 years work experience in Marketing and Consumer (Loyalty) Analytics. I have good knowledge of finance as I have prepared myself well and still preparing before joining MSFE in Fall 2014. I have already got an admit from UIUC and will join the same.
The problem is I am very scared right now. What should I do so as to have a good internship and job opportunity in the quantitative finance? I really don't want to work in the same line as I am doing right and that's why I am going to pursue MSFE. Can you guys please advice what can I do in order to have a relatively strong position for internship and job? I know I'll have compete with guys having experience in the relevant field, but still I need a way.

I really need your advice

Thanks

try to find an internship b4 u start the program
Man, It's really difficult to find a good paid internship. All these unpaid internships are not formal and one hardly gets to learn. I quit my job as I thought I would find a good financial internship but finally I had to enter to loyalty analytics again, so that I don't have a gap in my profile. I am learning through books, moocs but reall worried about a real time experience.. BTW I am not having any contract with my current job and I m actively looking for the internship.. lets see what happens! But by chance, if I don't get it, do my chances to get internship after 2nd sem in MSFE will become less?

Hi,

I am in a great dilemma right now. I have a BTech in IT and MBA Finance (with Thesis on conditional CAPM). But the problem is I have a 2.5 years work experience in Marketing and Consumer (Loyalty) Analytics. I have good knowledge of finance as I have prepared myself well and still preparing before joining MSFE in Fall 2014. I have already got an admit from UIUC and will join the same.
The problem is I am very scared right now. What should I do so as to have a good internship and job opportunity in the quantitative finance? I really don't want to work in the same line as I am doing right and that's why I am going to pursue MSFE. Can you guys please advice what can I do in order to have a relatively strong position for internship and job? I know I'll have compete with guys having experience in the relevant field, but still I need a way.

I really need your advice

Thanks
Joy Pathak
GoIllini

Can you guys help?

Man, It's really difficult to find a good paid internship. All these unpaid internships are not formal and one hardly gets to learn. I quit my job as I thought I would find a good financial internship but finally I had to enter to loyalty analytics again, so that I don't have a gap in my profile. I am learning through books, moocs but reall worried about a real time experience.. BTW I am not having any contract with my current job and I m actively looking for the internship.. lets see what happens! But by chance, if I don't get it, do my chances to get internship after 2nd sem in MSFE will become less?

Although I may not be the right person to answer this question, I have few questions that may answer your question:
1) What type of job you are looking for? My friends are interested in trading, so they are doing MSFE. Not all MSFE grads become a trader. They do lots of other things.
2) What is the motivation behind this pursuit? Let's assume you have found and internship and full time job upon graduation, but pay is almost same or slightly less. How would you feel then? Would be happy with this?

Having said that, the best way to secure an internship/FT, go to target school. Even if you pay more, it will pay off in the long run.

You have decided, go for it. "if you never failed you never lived":)

PS: I want to go to Harvard, but I don't know why. I just want to go there. I haven't got the ticket yet.;)

Back