• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Please help a newbie evaluating his profile

Hi Guys,

I am a newbie here and may need your kind help. Could you give your opinion of my chance to get into those top tier MFE programs (UCB, NYU, CMU, UCLA and etc.)? Really appreciate your help.

• BS: Aerospace Eng. with GPA 3.4/4.0 (~top 8%) from a top 10 eng. (no. 1 in Aerospace Eng.) school in China. Classes I took there are pretty much typical "engineering". A design from my final thesis project saved lots of money for a big glass manufacturer.

• MS: Mechanical Eng. with GPA 3.8/4.0 from a top 50 eng. school in USA. All my courses here are related to eng. numerical analysis: CFD, FEM, BEM, MC/MD etc. My thesis was to predict material behaviors by conducting nano-scale Monte Carlo and Molecular Dynamics simulations (two projects). A lot of quantitative analysis and numerical methods are involved.

• Ph.D: Human Computer Interaction (co-majored in Mechanical Eng.) with GPA 3.9/4.0 from the same US school. Work I've done here was about software development with 3D computer graphics, virtual reality etc. My experience here includes a lot of computer programming (mostly C++), algorithms and some numerical analysis.
Currently, I've been working as a research scientist at a research company in US for 1 year. I am co-PI for a couple of research projects from some federal agencies. The work here is mainly 3D software development (C++) and numerical algorithm implementations. Since I have almost zero knowledge of finance, I am gonna register for CFA level I exam this June.

Do I have any chance? Please give your comments and suggestions. Thanks a ton!

Thanks Andy!

I do think I need some systematic training in quantitative finance. And besides, my long-term career goal is aiming at Asian/Chinese financial market. A bigger brand like NYU could boost my chance there, I think.

Some MFE advisor suggested me to take CFA level I, should I just follow what she said? Thanks again...

That advisor doesn't happen to be from UCB, does she ;)
You don't need CFA to get into other programs. Let try to pick up the books first, go through the materials and see how you like it before spending more money and time to do CFA and sign up for MFE programs.
You have a job, the MFE programs will be there so there is no rush to do them.

Hi Andy, I am too old and don't have much time to wait. Is there anything I can do to improve my case? Thanks..

Hi Guys,

I am a newbie here and may need your kind help. Could you give your opinion of my chance to get into those top tier MFE programs (UCB, NYU, CMU, UCLA and etc.)? Really appreciate your help.

• BS: Aerospace Eng. with GPA 3.4/4.0 (~top 8%) from a top 10 eng. (no. 1 in Aerospace Eng.) school in China. Classes I took there are pretty much typical "engineering". A design from my final thesis project saved lots of money for a big glass manufacturer.
  • MS: Mechanical Eng. with GPA 3.8/4.0 from a top 50 eng. school in USA. All my courses here are related to eng. numerical analysis: CFD, FEM, BEM, MC/MD etc. My thesis was to predict material behaviors by conducting nano-scale Monte Carlo and Molecular Dynamics simulations (two projects). A lot of quantitative analysis and numerical methods are involved.
  • Ph.D: Human Computer Interaction (co-majored in Mechanical Eng.) with GPA 3.9/4.0 from the same US school. Work I've done here was about software development with 3D computer graphics, virtual reality etc. My experience here includes a lot of computer programming (mostly C++), algorithms and some numerical analysis.
Currently, I've been working as a research scientist at a research company in US for 1 year. I am co-PI for a couple of research projects from some federal agencies. The work here is mainly 3D software development (C++) and numerical algorithm implementations. Since I have almost zero knowledge of finance, I am gonna register for CFA level I exam this June.

Do I have any chance? Please give your comments and suggestions. Thanks a ton!

I guess you came from BAAU which is just in front of my BA college...Same with you , I ask for advices from Andy and other kindhearted men for whether or not the MFE.All the advices to me are directed to equity research or else.Why not have a try to prevent all the eggs in one basket? Beside, the CFA-I is not so difficult and it does help in finding jobs relating research...No directly advice is given since I am myself wandering.But I guess you can try more ways.
And another fact is?no excellent Quant position is provided in mainland China.Unless you choose HK.

Back