• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Politecnico di Milano

Hello everyone

I am a new member in this forum. I will start next year an MSc in Quantitative finance (Mathematical engineering) at Politecnico di Milano in Italy. I would love to know if getting a masters degree from this university (which is ranked 137th according to QS World University Rankings) is a good idea to start a career in consulting within one of the big 4? How famous is Politecnico di Milano by recruiters outside of Italy?

Thanks in advance.

If I am going to be honest, I would ask on wallstreetoasis or gmatclub - the people on those forums should know more about Consulting, this forum is more served to people who want to work in the financial sector, specifically in more quantitative roles.

Though, if I were to give my opinion, if you want to do consulting, an MBA from LBS, any degree from Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial, or even a degree from Bocconi would serve you better if you want to get jobs in the bigger financial cities in Europe and beyond.

Don't think it's the best place to start.
Why do you think so? I m willing to start a masters of mathematical engineering in Polimi which is highly regarded in engineering (being rankeded 20th in engineering according to QS Ranking)

I think it's worthy looking at other, more reknowend options. Outside of Italy, and even in Italy, it is not well reknowned. (met local people who graduated from there and had really hard time finding employment).

Looks as if it is focused on engineering, architecture, chemistry, aeronautics.
They might have a finance 'enclave'??

Bocconi in Milan is more prestigious.

Last edited:
Isn't quantitative finance a branch of engineering? The masters I m willing to pursue is (MSc Mathematimal Engineering - Track: Quantitative Finance).

Isn't quantitative finance a branch of engineering? The masters I m willing to pursue is (MSc Mathematimal Engineering - Track: Quantitative Finance).
What's in a name?
I worked in Maths _and_ Engineering; Mathematical Engineering is a meaningless name IMO, unless someone DEFINES it!

Engineering Mathematics does exist

Last edited:
What's in a name?
I worked in Maths _and_ Engineering; Mathematical Engineering is a meaningless name IMO, unless someone DEFINES it!

Engineering Mathematics does exist

During my undergrad, engineering mathematics was more plug-and-chug, no critical thinking or analytical skills involved. It just looked like a bunch of techniques. I got little insight into why we performed integral transforms or what convolution meant. But, maybe that's just me.

During my undergrad, engineering mathematics was more plug-and-chug, no critical thinking or analytical skills involved. It just looked like a bunch of techniques. I got little insight into why we performed integral transforms or what convolution meant. But, maybe that's just me.
That's probably not a goal. Compare it to _using_ a Pyton library, you don't need know the internals.
Most plumbers have no idea what the Navier Stokes PDE is.

Back