• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE Poly MFE vs. BU Mathematical Finance

jessicawong

Jessica Wong
I got admitted by the two programs. Wondering which to attend. Poly has better location than BU, and Poly has a merger with NYU so that 08fall FE students could take some courses from NYU's Mathematics in Finance program. If I want to seek a position in some major Wall St. firm, which program is better? Thanks!

You're likely to come across some strong opinions regarding the Poly program here on Quantnet. Your best source of information is likely to be current and former students at both programs. In my opinion...Poly has the location advantage if your plan is to work in NYC, but as far as the quality of the program is concerned, I would definitely say BU. By the way, my opinion is bit biased as I will be attending BU in the fall.

You can read some of the comments on the Poly program here

As a former student of Poly I have many friends who have BS and MS degrees (including MFE) from Poly. A rumor has reached me that Poly's MFE might be closed because of the merger. NYU is interested in buying the eingineering part of Poly, so it is a big question what will happen to MFE in the long run.

As for the merger, it would be a merger of the engineering department. NYU currently doesn't have an engineering department and is interested in starting one. But the cost is much to great to start one from scratch, thus the merger with Poly. From what I hear, various schools at NYU tend to operate as independent units. Thus, even if Courant has a role in the merger, I doubt that the Fin. Math department will. In my opinion, it seems a bit unlikely that Poly students will all of a sudden be able to take courses at NYU. But, I could be wrong....

In my opinion, it seems a bit unlikely that Poly students will all of a sudden be able to take courses at NYU. But, I could be wrong....

This part is true as I've seen that e-mail myself. It says that a number of well qualified students (like 5 or so) will be able to take certain (like 3, they listed the options) courses at NYU.

It seems to me that Boston University's MFE is not that popular in this forum. And their website provides little detail too. Does job placement look good for the graduates of this program?

@bayaba

I don't think it's a matter of popularity. Quantnet is concerned primarily with the NYC community thus the inhabitants of this forum are familiar with NYC and surrounding schools. But since I'll be attending BU in the fall, I'll share, for those interested, my experience and opinion of the program.

It is hard to compare. Poly has a better location, and good location means more chance. But you should value it by yourself.

poly students and NYU

let me remind you frankliao that the borad of the engineering school will have as many poly as NYU delegates but year after year one poly will be replaced by existing NYU professionals. so after few years say 10 or so, the borad will have no poly employees.
But, it wont even take 10 years to come at a decision (regarding the poly MFE) because after few years the majority of the borad members of the engineering school will be NYU employees, so they may even scratch the program.

another point
do not assume that poly students will be allowed to take up courses from NYU.
See, the best resource of a program is its courses (and the teachers ......) so if poly students are allowed to take up courses from NYU dont u think it is a rip off for the deserved NYU students. Although nothing has beed finalised, but the likely situation is poly MFE will have no association with NYU. Except the fact that they will get NYU on their degree. Polytechnic Institute of NYU.
I had emailed the director of the program, and he said that NOTHING HAS BEEN FINALISED please keep checking the website for new updates.

Also, it was mentioned some time ago (2 months ago i think) that in MAY 2008 there will be a complete overhaul of the website of Polytechnic and that polytechnic university will no longer exist (it will be polytechnic institute of NYU).

The I 20 you received has Polytechnic Institute written all over it, does it have any mention of NYU in the whole packet ... no.

THE ONLY GOOD THING:
that possibly could come out of this for the poly students is:
the merger of career services. If the NYU career services take up the responsibility of placing and getting internships for poly students, that will raise the spirits for sure. But then again there are two points, one they might actually say that we do not take up the responsibility, and 2 they may take up but as it is no career services gives gurantee, so they may say we tried placing poly students but couldnt. or something like that.

Regarding course taking:
this summer there was a group of 8 students (i think) attending a pilot program and taking up core and elective courses from NYU they will finish this fall and then the committee will take a decision.

please comment on various points mentioned above.

Thanks and Regards
Ashish Tare

You're likely to come across some strong opinions regarding the Poly program here on Quantnet. Your best source of information is likely to be current and former students at both programs. In my opinion...Poly has the location advantage if your plan is to work in NYC, but as far as the quality of the program is concerned, I would definitely say BU. By the way, my opinion is bit biased as I will be attending BU in the fall.

Hey, can you give me some info about yourself (GPA, GRE, etc), if you don't mind? BU is on my list of schools to apply for and would like to know the competitiveness of their program. Thanks.

Back