• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Possible to get into MFE 2025?

I have recently graduated from a decent liberal arts college with a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science and a minor in Economics (cum GPA of 3.61). Upon graduation, I will be working as a tech analyst at a prominent investment bank in New York City. My goal is to enter the field of quantitative finance, specifically in the areas of development and research, rather than trading. I am considering obtaining a master's degree in Financial Engineering from Baruch College.

My plan involves leveraging the networking opportunities available within my bank, which has a significant number of Baruch MFE alumni. Additionally, I aim to secure a position as a quant developer, given its strong emphasis on software engineering while simultaneously acquiring strong letters of recommendation from my managers and completing the necessary pre-MFE seminars over the course of two years.

Considering my background may not be particularly outstanding, I am curious to know if this plan is feasible and whether it would enhance my chances of gaining admission to the program in 2025.

Because you'll be in the workforce for a couple years before the MFE, your undergraduate education matters much less than you think it does right now.
They will care much more about projects you did at work, you're managers recommendations, and those personal connections with Baruch grads (There is not a small chance Dan just calls those grads afterward if you mention them).

You seem to have a good plan and great opportunities, execute it well and you should have a good shot.

Back