• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Post Grad: PhD , or Mfe

Hi Everyone,

I have been interested in a career in Financial Engineering for a couple of years now. I am due to graduate in two years time.

I am currently studying a double degree in Electronic Engineering (BE) and a Business Degree (with an economics major) at the University of Auckland - in New Zealand.

Originally, it was my plan to first complete a PhD in Engineering before attempting to either (a) enter into a MFE or, PhD in FE program, or (b) try directly for a financial engineering related job.

However, with the increasing number of MFE programs being offered, I am now thinking whether or not it is advisable to complete a MFE program directly after graduation without completing a PhD.

What does everyone think?

Thanks Alot!

MFEs are becoming quite popular as the existence of this website attests to. Whether you should go straight into a MFE or get a PhD first depends on your time line and what exactly you want to (trader, quant research or development).

Job placement for the top MFE programs seems very good but I haven't seen anything to convince me that the heavy quant positions are going to people without a PhD. Though one possibility would be to get a MFE while in a PhD program, some programs let you do this I believe.

But I'm sure someone will disagree with me :D

Number of MFE programs is increasing however most of them are very recent. If we go back five years, you could list them all from memory. The base point is that you have to do some research about available choices.

Also, more important, you shouldn't choose PhD as an alternative. You should be convinced that specific field is fascinating and you want to spend years learning about it. Trying to do a PhD for the "title" will not lead you anywhere.
Number of PhD's that can apply for quant finance jobs is large: Math, Physics, Engineering, Computer Science (closer to MFE count probably).

Back