• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Postdoc, Moving to Quant. finance at 32

I am currently working as a Postdoc at a University in Europe. I am considering moving to quantitative finance by getting a MFE degree. I am a bit unsure because of my age (32).

I have two main problems with my current job.
Future prospect: I am 32 and I got my PhD in 2010. My salary is about 70K USD now and IF I get an assistant professor position it would be increased just 10%. If, after many years, I get a professorship I get 140K USD. Considering the pressure and stress It seems very low to me.

The job itself is also not interesting for me, not because it is not challenging but because I think most of the academic results are useless for the industry. So basically, I think that I am putting my time and energy into solving irrelevant hard problems which has nothing to do with the real-world problem for a very low salary.

The subject of quantitative finance seems very interesting to me. The math is very similar to what I am doing right now.
My worry is that after leaving my current job and spending a lot of money on MFE, my age would be a barrier to landing a job in quant. finance. Also, from ads It seems to me that high paid quant jobs are mainly for PhDs from top tier US universities.

I really appreciate your any advice.

Last edited:
I have two main problems with my current job.
Future prospect: I am 32 and I got my PhD about sept. 2010. My salary is about 70K USD now and IF I get an assistant professor position it would be increased just 10%. If, after many years, I get a professorship I get 140K USD. Considering the pressure and stress It seems very low to me.

Pressure and stress? So, in finance, you will get something like that or a little bit higher (since you have no experience) with an order of magnitude higher in pressure and stress and less time for yourself.

And depending on who you ask, also putting your time and energy into solving irrelevant hard problems which has nothing to do with the real-world ;)

Pressure and stress? So, in finance, you will get something like that or a little bit higher (since you have no experience) with an order of magnitude higher in pressure and stress and less time for yourself.
My problem is not hard work and pressure, my problem is: working hard + low pay.

Back