• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

pre-masters job

What would be a good pre-masters job for someone interesting in quant trading, but who might not have the background necessary for the higher-level material? I know a lot of firms pretty much require masters' anyway, and I'd want to have work experience beforehand.

Your post was at 11:11 AM! Very nice... Did you know there's a higher probability of seeing one than any other number? Hence people seeing 11:11 and thinking it's weird. Anyway...

I know a lot of regional banks hire non-masters candidates for risk management positions. I've seen the title "Modeling Analyst" for such jobs. This type of analyst would be programming in SAS (or R) and doing a lot of data mining. Again, these are risk management positions so you'd be support staff for a crew that produces projects required by the Fed, the FDIC and the govt.

Keep in mind that consumer credit risk departments are growing because they have to (via regulation)! Also keep in mind that this is the just the start of credit risk analysis. While a lot of these positions assess small deals, new credit risk methods are starting to get applied to the larger commercial deals as well. It's not a glamor quant job but it's relevant experience.

Google: 1) Consumer Credit Analyst
2) Consumer Credit Risk

Back