• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Pre-MFE classes online vs. in person

Hi all,

I am going to be applying to MFE programs this winter/next spring, and since my undergraduate education was in Finance, I have been taking night classes throughout this year.

I've completed Calc 1, am almost done with Calc 2, and will take both Multivariable Calculus and Linear Algebra/Differential Equations this fall. I may be overthinking, but I wanted to see if anyone had an opinion on a question I have.

My schedule only allows for me to take one of the classes in person (which I will do at my alma mater, the University of Minnesota) while I will need to take the other one online at a lesser known community college. I will also need to get a letter of recommendation from one of these classes, which I figure will have to be the in person one. Here is my question: based on what MFE programs prefer/general knowledge needed to excel in application/interview process and my need for a letter of recommendation, is there going to be an advantage to taking Linear Alg/Diff Eq in person vs Multi Calc online at a community college or vice versa?

Thanks so much for the help!

Both Linear Algebra and Multivariable Calculus are important pre-requisites, but since Linear Algebra / Differential Equations are generally taken after calculus I would consider taking Linear Algebra in person.

My ode/pde courses.

And QN C++ and Advanced C+ + are a kind of gold standard.

My ode/pde courses.

And QN C++ and Advanced C+ + are a kind of gold standard.
Chugging through the C++ course right now, thank you for the other recommendations, too!

Back