• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Baruch MFE PRE MFE courses

Hi guys,

I was just wondering if it's competitive to get admitted to take the pre-MFE courses at Baruch.
As everyone knows, the MFE program itself is hard to get in at Baruch but I am hoping ot get admitted to the pre-MFE courses and I was just wondering if it's a similar case for these pre-MFE courses.

Bump!
I ended up getting into these seminars. I am now wondering if I can handle all 3 onsite seminars at once. I have a pretty good background in probability, and statistics.
How difficult are these courses given I have some graduate level probability and statistics background.

Any replies would be much appreciated!

Bump!
I ended up getting into these seminars. I am now wondering if I can handle all 3 onsite seminars at once. I have a pretty good background in probability, and statistics.
How difficult are these courses given I have some graduate level probability and statistics background.

Any replies would be much appreciated!
It's possible to succeed in all 3 onsite seminars at once, but keep in mind that are all really demanding and require full focus and commitment. You will have weekly homework and some exercises are quite hard and take hours.
Unless you are very comfortable with probability, statistics, advanced calculus and linear algebra, and able to go full time studying, I wouldn't recommend you to take them all, instead take 2 and excel at them. It's better to achieve 2/2 completion with distinction, rather than 3/3 without distinction, in my opinion.

It's possible to succeed in all 3 onsite seminars at once, but keep in mind that are all really demanding and require full focus and commitment. You will have weekly homework and some exercises are quite hard and take hours.
Unless you are very comfortable with probability, statistics, advanced calculus and linear algebra, and able to go full time studying, I wouldn't recommend you to take them all, instead take 2 and excel at them. It's better to achieve 2/2 completion with distinction, rather than 3/3 without distinction, in my opinion.

Thank you for your reply.

Hi guys,

I was just wondering if it's competitive to get admitted to take the pre-MFE courses at Baruch.
As everyone knows, the MFE program itself is hard to get in at Baruch but I am hoping ot get admitted to the pre-MFE courses and I was just wondering if it's a similar case for these pre-MFE courses.

Admission to the Pre-MFE seminars is based on whether you need to take the seminars, in the opinion of the Admissions Committee and whether you would benefit from them.

If you do not have the pre-requisite courses (a prior course in probability for the Probaility Pre-MFE seminar, for example), or if you are over-qualified for them (MS in mathematics for the Advanced Calculus Pre-MFE seminar, for example), you will not be admitted.

Another difference is that the number of seats for the Pre-MFE seminars is limited to 40, so applying sooner could make a difference, while there is no set number of seats for the MFE Program.

Bump!

If you were admitted to all three on-site seminars, the Admissions Committee expects it is doable to amass the knowledge and perform well in all three seminars simultaneously.

Admission to the Pre-MFE seminars is based on whether you need to take the seminars, in the opinion of the Admissions Committee and whether you would benefit from them.

If you do not have the pre-requisite courses (a prior course in probability for the Probaility Pre-MFE seminar, for example), or if you are over-qualified for them (MS in mathematics for the Advanced Calculus Pre-MFE seminar, for example), you will not be admitted.

Another difference is that the number of seats for the Pre-MFE seminars is limited to 40, so applying sooner could make a difference, while there is no set number of seats for the MFE Program.

If you were admitted to all three on-site seminars, the Admissions Committee expects it is doable to amass the knowledge and perform well in all three seminars simultaneously.

Thank you for the reply. I am leaning towards to registering for all three. I also plan on doing the C++ online seminar this winter.
By the end, I am hoping to learn enough to be fully prepared for the more advanced curriculum in a financial engineering program.

If you are planning to do the C++ Certificate as well, it would be best to do as much of it as possible before the on-site Pre-MFE seminars begin in early February.

Good luck!

If you are planning to do the C++ Certificate as well, it would be best to do as much of it as possible before the on-site Pre-MFE seminars begin in early February.

Good luck!

Thank you for the suggestion. Btw, I am impressed by what you do within the MFE program at Baruch. I plan on applying for the program early next year.

hi, I applied to MFE this year and got a hold decision and was asked to complete a series of courses ( Machine learning and maths on coursera + pre-program). I have deffered the consideration for next year. However, could someone please reply urgently on if I am ready to take these courses and is it realistic to expect that with effort I can manage good grades.

Please note: I am looking at making a complete change in my line fo function.
I haven't used advanced maths in over 6 yrs now. i am on strategy consulting science so again, don't use hard core mathematical finance. And i have no coding background. i know SAS and I know Excel VBA.Not a computer engineer.

Having said that, I really want to be ready to be able to apply to these courses. In summary, please tell me

1. pre-program courses started 10 days back. However, due to technical glitch executive team has enrolled me now. I would need to pay up today or tomorrow. Given my background, which course should I target (given time investment that they require and i would have to work extra hard)? i am working individual.

2. COursera courses on machine learning and other maths courses - (for machine learning they said andrew ng), but for others do you have any recommendations on what are good courses?

- Linear Algebra
-Numerical Analysis
- Partial Differential Equation
- machine learning (andrew ng)
-course in C++/matlab/python/r ( it says and, but i am not sure if I have money to do all of them)

I really do want to build this profile. And I will be very honest. The fact I applied at the last moment (Nov) and got a hold decision, made me hopeful that my cv has some value and that is why it was considered. I hope it is not the case of college giving everyone hold in hope of just gettting more admission prospects to these courses.

Any other colleges that I can apply to preferablly in Jan 2017 itself to be considered for fall session.

Hi ankchat,
I've taken the probability and advanced calculus seminars, and I am currently taking the online C++ course and enrolled for the Numerical Linear Algebra instructed by @dstefan which starts in February.
I think that all the seminars are fundamental to succeed in the MFE. So I couldn't suggest you foster one and not the others.
About coding, I think it's nonsense to start learning four different programming languages at the same time. You need to only focus on one and the most appreciated in finance, the C++ (btw I think it's harder than Matlab, Python, and R). I'd suggest you to start learning C++ now since you don't have a lot of time. Take Baruch's online course, I'm currently taking this seminar, and it's a great choice that I've made; the TAs are very helpful, and the forum is full of resources.

Last edited:
hi, I applied to MFE this year and got a hold decision and was asked to complete a series of courses ( Machine learning and maths on coursera + pre-program). I have deffered the consideration for next year. However, could someone please reply urgently on if I am ready to take these courses and is it realistic to expect that with effort I can manage good grades.

Please note: I am looking at making a complete change in my line fo function.
I haven't used advanced maths in over 6 yrs now. i am on strategy consulting science so again, don't use hard core mathematical finance. And i have no coding background. i know SAS and I know Excel VBA.Not a computer engineer.

Having said that, I really want to be ready to be able to apply to these courses. In summary, please tell me

1. pre-program courses started 10 days back. However, due to technical glitch executive team has enrolled me now. I would need to pay up today or tomorrow. Given my background, which course should I target (given time investment that they require and i would have to work extra hard)? i am working individual.

2. COursera courses on machine learning and other maths courses - (for machine learning they said andrew ng), but for others do you have any recommendations on what are good courses?

- Linear Algebra
-Numerical Analysis
- Partial Differential Equation
- machine learning (andrew ng)
-course in C++/matlab/python/r ( it says and, but i am not sure if I have money to do all of them)

I really do want to build this profile. And I will be very honest. The fact I applied at the last moment (Nov) and got a hold decision, made me hopeful that my cv has some value and that is why it was considered. I hope it is not the case of college giving everyone hold in hope of just gettting more admission prospects to these courses.

Any other colleges that I can apply to preferablly in Jan 2017 itself to be considered for fall session.

Baruch's pre-mfe courses is a great choice if you want to brush up your knowledge in the fundamental quantitative skills related to financial engineering.

The seminars are rigorous and requires from you to have enough time to dedicate as well as to know the basic math and finance concepts. Advanced calculus seminar requires from you previous elementary knowledge of programming.

To clarify, given that this was posted on a Baruch Pre-MFE seminars thread, the hold decision you mention is not from the Baruch MFE Program - we do not have a waitlist or a hold decision.

Back