• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Pre requisites for MFE

I want to work as a quant and for that i mostly equire an MFE. My background is in commerce BCom but I've cleared 6 actuarial papers from IFOA and ive also cleared 2 levels of CFA so i think id be able to handle the math.

Which pre requisite courses and from which program do i absolutely need to do from an admissions pov to get more rounded knowledge?

Last edited:
I want to work as a quant and for that i mostly an MFE. My background is in commerce BCom but I've cleared 6 actuarial papers from IFOA and ive also cleared 2 levels of CFA so i think id be able to handle the math.

Which pre requisite courses and from which program do i absolutely need to do from an admissions pov to get more rounded knowledge?
Generally the prereqs are something along the lines of: multivariate calculus, linear algebra, ODE (sometimes PDE), calc based probability, programming (preferably c++), and then finance knowledge through either courses or work experience

Generally the prereqs are something along the lines of: multivariate calculus, linear algebra, ODE (sometimes PDE), calc based probability, programming (preferably c++), and then finance knowledge through either courses or work experience
Thanks. Do you have any suggestions as to which university offers these courses at an affordable rate while being of a high quality

We ought to have a resource for prospective applicants to MFE programs where our QuantNet members can contribute.
Links to reading materials, courses to take, which requirements, how to do research on different programs, how to track/compare apps using the Tracker, internship leads, how to network, etc.

@marcusaurelius @MikeLawrence @Lukee etc?

Thanks. Do you have any suggestions as to hich university offers these courses at an affordable rate while being of a high quality
Sorry, I'm not quite sure on this one. If you search around you'll find threads where people have asked similar questions, maybe reach out to them and see where they went to for prereq classes

We ought to have a resource for prospective applicants to MFE programs where our QuantNet members can contribute.
Links to reading materials, courses to take, which requirements, how to do research on different programs, how to track/compare apps using the Tracker, internship leads, how to network, etc.

Sounds like a great idea, I'd contribute what I can from my limited knowledge

Marcus is definitely much better suited for this than Luke and I, since he is actually in a program and has gone through the process. Might be good to get a couple recent graduates of different programs to get a better feel for what they think was actually useful once they got accepted and then saw the other side.

Marcus is definitely much better suited for this than Luke and I, since he is actually in a program and has gone through the process.
I agree here
Might be good to get a couple recent graduates of different programs to get a better feel for what they think was actually useful once they got accepted and then saw the other side.
In theory this is a good idea. The only issue is that once people get accepted into programs they have a lot less free time between classes, networking, interview prep, etc. so it would be hard to find current MFE students/grads who are willing to help with this

Back