• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Pricing off of the spot rate curve

Guys,

I have simulated the spot rate curve and have values for each year (1-30) with which I can price zero coupon bonds. Now, what if want to discount a coupon bond using my simulated curve. My coupon bond pays every 6 months. What discount rate would I use to discount the money i get in year 1.5? One half the two year rate?

Stich your curve together using some interpolation scheme. The simplest is piecewise constant or piecewise linear. Of course this is not really what is used in practice, one may want to use spline interpolation instead.

Edit: By "simulating the spot rate" do you mean the instantaneous rate or the zero rate for different maturities? If you mean the latter, ignore my post.

Original post:

If I am understanding correctly, the price of a zero bond that matures at time t is ( P\mathbb{\tilde{E}} \left[e^{-\int_0 ^ t r_s ds}\right] ) where ( r_s ) is the spot rate at time s and P is the principle. No further discounting is necessary.

Obviously this assumes no default risk, just interest rate risk.

Given a realized spot path, the current price of a zero bond is simply (Pe^{-\int_0 ^ t r_s ds}). At the current time we do not know what the realized spot rate will be, so this isn't very realistic.

Back