• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Pricing STRIPS

Hi,

I am working on pricing a STRIP bond for trading. These instruments will be used for the first time and there are no quotes available in the market as of now

Is there any place where I can get a model for pricing a STRIP so as to give a quote?

Thanks,
Abid

Is this more complicated than discounting using the appropriate rate curve? Wherever you are working, you should be able to get such a curve.

There is no such Curve

Hi,

Many thanks for the reply

I am from India, and the deal is that we do not have a sovereign real ZCYC. We are expected to have a sovereign real ZCYC once the STRIPS become successful. That, is the reason why we are not able to decide a bid/ask two way quote when STRIPS would be traded for the first time

Thanks,
Abid

If you don't have a yield curve how you can price anything?

In extreme scenario you can define the lowest and the highest projected interest rates, let's say 0.5% and 15% (I don't know about your rates environment) and discount cashflows to obtain bid (at the lowest rate) and ask (at the highest rate).

However, I don't think you will get a lot of trading action with this approach, because buyers and sellers will definitely use more sophisticated interest rate models to come up with a "fair" price.

There is a yield curve, but

In India, because of the nascent state of bond markets, we have a very flawed yield curve. More than half the bonds issued are illiquid, and trading only happens at extremely short tenors and 10 year tenor. Hence there is no "REAL" yield curve. All that we have is an approximate yield curve, which is derived by bootstrapping/ interpolation.

Coming to the model which you talked which is used by more sophisticated traders, how can one start rom scratch towards building such a model?

Try looking up this:
The Hagan & West paper on Interpolation Methods for Curve Construction

Back