• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

princeton MFin

Hi all,
I am an software technology engineer and am considering apply to MFin program (Princeton). I am also applying to a few MBA programs this year, but MFin Prineton also will suit my long term goals. The problem is: I looked at the class profile (20 selected out of around 500), and looks like none of them is more than 6 years out of undergrad (most of them just a year or two out of undergrad) with excellent gpa etc and pure fin/math ground.

My profile is:
- 33 yrs, MS/BS in computer engineering (CE) from top programs in CS/EE university
- Couple of international publications, book chapters in my research field in CE.
- Variety of R&D roles in a few companies in hi-tech
- GMAT 740 49q, AWA 4.0 - (low?)
- GRE - 800Q - AWA 4.0 (low?)
- GPAs (~3.5)
- Good grades in math courses in UG.
- moderate ECs (do ECs matter?)

From the class profile of MFin, it looks much young (with most of them 0-1 years from undegrad). How do Pton view age during admissions? How important is "statement of purpose", and recommendations? I will have only 1 academic rec from my professor in grad school, others being professional recs.

-jm

Good job of recognizing each program is carving a particular profile for its cohort. Some will favor experienced folks, some will love fresh graduates with high GPA. Whatever way they go, it's working for them in term of successfully placing these students so they will not stray away from that formula.

Princeton's curriculum is a bit different from the traditional Finance or MFE programs so they have good reasons to pick such profiles.

Once you realize the typical profile they are going for, try to see if you can make a good fit. It's a marriage so you both have to like what you see in the other.

Even if you get admitted there, do you feel intellectually stimulated among such crowd? Do your classmates bring something to complement your skills?

That's something you have to keep in mind looking at different programs. There is no reason to be a lone wolf in a herd of sheep.

thanks andy. So, it looks like Princeton Mfin is geared toward young high gpa/fin_or_math background guys. I am sure with that kind of class profile I can find something useful in them. The question for me (due to age and not_that_high gpa despite othewise competitive background) is whether Princeton finds something useful in me.

Can someone who has applied to Princeton MFin please provide some insight into rec letters/age relevance to the program. thanks.

Back