• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Profile Eval! Need to Re-strategize after Vandy Reject

I am an international student in my final year majoring in Computer science. Studying in a well-reputed university in my country.

GPA : 8.76/10 GRE : 327 Toefl : 116

2 finance related internships at Reliance Capital(Largest MF in the country) & IDFC AMC(~10b$ AUM)

Finance Market professional certificate from the National Stock Exchange

Finance, Accounting Corp Finance courses on coursera

Extra Curricular :
1) Created an application that was adopted by the civic body(largest in Asia) received media coverage in top newspapers and tv interviews for the same.

2)run a youtube channel to teach mathematical and computer science concepts(~500k views)

3) Represented University as head delegate for Harvard World MUN ( Belgium)

4)Vice chair person of a student organisation. Raised INR150k+ money for the organisation through sponsorship. During my tenure organisation won the best student chapter award.

Universities I applied to
1)Vanderbilt MSF [REJECTED]
2)WashU in St Louis - MSF - Quantitative trackApplied. Waiting for updates
3) Rochester MSF - Called for interview on 4th nov

4)MIT MFIN
5)Columbia MSOR
6)Boston University MSMF
7)NYU Poly MFE
8)GaTech Computational Finance

8)UMich MMS
9)Duke MMS

Where do you honestly feel I would be admitted. I guess not having work exp or cfa credentials killed my chances at VB. So i am stilll in a little shock. Was hoping to be atleast interviewed for the same. What are your thoughts? Do you havee any other programs in mind I should seek out?

Your extracurriculars are impressive but none of them really are relevant for MFE/FinMath. No admission committee will consider Coursera to be a "real" source of education, btw. What was your GRE breakdown? What does a 8.76/10 mean when converted to a GPA on the 4.0 scale?

Only a stupid would do MS Finance after a BSc Comp Sc. Its a regression of education.

I am an international student in my final year majoring in Computer science. Studying in a well-reputed university in my country.

GPA : 8.76/10 GRE : 327 Toefl : 116

2 finance related internships at Reliance Capital(Largest MF in the country) & IDFC AMC(~10b$ AUM)

Finance Market professional certificate from the National Stock Exchange

Finance, Accounting Corp Finance courses on coursera

Extra Curricular :
1) Created an application that was adopted by the civic body(largest in Asia) received media coverage in top newspapers and tv interviews for the same.

2)run a youtube channel to teach mathematical and computer science concepts(~500k views)

3) Represented University as head delegate for Harvard World MUN ( Belgium)

4)Vice chair person of a student organisation. Raised INR150k+ money for the organisation through sponsorship. During my tenure organisation won the best student chapter award.

Universities I applied to
1)Vanderbilt MSF [REJECTED]
2)WashU in St Louis - MSF - Quantitative trackApplied. Waiting for updates
3) Rochester MSF - Called for interview on 4th nov

4)MIT MFIN
5)Columbia MSOR
6)Boston University MSMF
7)NYU Poly MFE
8)GaTech Computational Finance

8)UMich MMS
9)Duke MMS

Where do you honestly feel I would be admitted. I guess not having work exp or cfa credentials killed my chances at VB. So i am stilll in a little shock. Was hoping to be atleast interviewed for the same. What are your thoughts? Do you havee any other programs in mind I should seek out?

Your extracurriculars are impressive but none of them really are relevant for MFE/FinMath. No admission committee will consider Coursera to be a "real" source of education, btw. What was your GRE breakdown? What does a 8.76/10 mean when converted to a GPA on the 4.0 scale?

168Q 159V and WES puts it at 3.75. Well yeah coursera is not a source of education but the only source for me to gain knowledge since my curriculum is pretty rigid and doesn't allow me to take finance electives.

I have cleared exams in Portfolio Management, Financial Markets, Equity Derivatives & Fundamental analysis offered by the national stock exchange(NSE). I have prepared for the CFA level 1 too to land an internship at the finance firms I talked about earlier....but couldnt appear for it since I would have to be in my final year at the time of registration

Only a stupid would do MS Finance after a BSc Comp Sc. Its a regression of education.
Fair enough...but I just started developing an affinity to the field during my internship and knew what I wanted to do! Computers doesn't fascinate me like finance does

There are a quite a few Indians on this board who have gone the Indian university / American MFE route. Maybe worth contacting one of them and see what they think. I'm not familiar with the Indian education system so maybe someone who is more experienced can help.

Back