• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Profile Evaluation Fall 2024 + Program Recs

Hi all,

I'm looking to apply to MFE/Mathematical Finance programs for Fall 2024 and am looking for suggestions to improve my profile and program suggestions.

Academic Background:
I'm a math major with minor in finance at top Canadian university. GPA: 3.8

GRE: 322= 164Q/161V + 5W
Math:
Linear Algebra: A
PDEs: A
ODEs: A
Probability/Stats: A
Multivariable Calculus: A
Real Analysis: A
Numerical Analysis: A
Stochastic Processes: B
+ others
+ Quant Finance: A

CS:
Statistical Computing/ML type course: A
Intro CS: A
Data Structures/Algorithms: A

Projects/Research
1 research project under math/stats professor applying ML in options pricing.

LOR:
1 Research supervising prof
1 stats prof, 1 PDE prof.

Work Experience:

2 Data Science/Analytics Intern
1 Market Risk
+ additional volunteer experience in financial literacy

Target School:
NYU Mathematics in Finance
Columbia Mathematics in Finance
Columbia Financial Engineering.
Stanford MCF

Comments:
1. Should I submit GRE? Most are optional and my score is fairly low wrt the averages of these programs.
2. What should I expect going into these applications in terms of chances? What are some weak spots in my profile I might want to highlight in my essays?
3. Any other programs I should consider applying to?

Thanks in advance!

1. Should I submit GRE? Most are optional and my score is fairly low wrt the averages of these programs.
The mean GRE at top programs is ~ 169Q, I wouldn't submit it for schools that are test optional. Ideally retake it if you have time
2. What should I expect going into these applications in terms of chances? What are some weak spots in my profile I might want to highlight in my essays?
I unfortunately can't comment much on this but some C++ experience definitely wouldn't hurt, if you have experience with it maybe highlight that
3. Any other programs I should consider applying to?
The more programs you apply to the greater your chances of getting in somewhere good. If application fees aren't a huge financial burden on you apply to as many places as you can. The new 2024 rankings came out this week, check those out for ideas of where to apply.

The mean GRE at top programs is ~ 169Q, I wouldn't submit it for schools that are test optional. Ideally retake it if you have time

I unfortunately can't comment much on this but some C++ experience definitely wouldn't hurt, if you have experience with it maybe highlight that

The more programs you apply to the greater your chances of getting in somewhere good. If application fees aren't a huge financial burden on you apply to as many places as you can. The new 2024 rankings came out this week, check those out for ideas of where to apply.
Thanks Luke- appreciate the comments. I was planning to take the C++ course on here, but won’t have it completed in time for my applications.

What is your rationale for those specific programs?
I guess first off is NYC- it’s where I want to work long term. I figure it’s best to go to programs in the cities where you want to work rather than say Chicago but try and recruit for NYC. Stanford being the exception here because their curriculum allows for more flexibility which is something I value. More importantly I suppose, I’m also applying to applied mathematics masters programs- so if I was going to do MFE I would prefer to take the more mathematically focused ones. Courant and Columbia stood out there for obvious reasons. Curious as to your thoughts on this- am I over thinking the location aspect?

Back