• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Profile Evaluation for 2025 MSc Computational Finance

Hi everyone, hope you all are having a great day. I am Indian candidate and I passed out in 2023. After that I have only worked an internship for 6 months, currently looking for more work experience alongside. I applied to few schools for 2024 intake but was really late (applied in July). Only got acceptance from 1 school (UK) but its non target and not ranked on QuantNet/RiskNet, so will be passing. I want to go for Computational Finance MSc (or something similar). Will be applying in time again for 2025 intake. I understand that my background is not the best/not too competitive.

Background

Country
- India
Course - Bachelors in CS, Minor in Maths
Passout - 2023
University - Top 30 in National Rankings in Engineering (NIRF)
GPA - 8.1/10.0
Work Ex - 6 Months Internship
Coursework - Multiple Programming Courses, ML, AI, Probability and Stats, Linear Algebra, Financial Maths, Modelling, Graph Theory, Number Theory, Optimization
Programming Languages - C++, Python, R, MATLAB

What are few things I can do to improve my profile in next 3-4 Months after which I will have to apply. I don't think I can get into top top programs, but I want to aim for mid ones at least.

What I am thinking till now

1. More work experience
2. GRE high score
3. C++ QuantNet course

More suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I'd say apply for the top ones.
In my undergraduate days i used to apply to ones I thought I would never get, but was surprised I got in.
Alot of people count themselves out before they even try.

In the meantime I think you should build on your work experience, even if it's unpaid try to show significant metrics in the work you do. That may be through open source contributions which I would recommend, or a job placement at a firm. The key point is to have some metric of your effort, (i.e implemented XYZ lowering latency by A%, implemented Y functionality in X open source repo which has Z stars and B downloads improving developer experience in ....

I see tons of resume pass my desk and many are clueless on what it means to write resume points
The ethos of a resume point is: Show your effect on the experience with metrics and specifics

Why specifics, because someone who truly did that point would know exactly how he did it and what resources they used.

There's my little rant, hope this helps you decide on what work experience to pursue in the future.

Best of luck
jabbawabba

Back