• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Profile Evaluation for MFE/ Computational Finance/ Financial Mathematics - 2025

Hi All,

I am planning to pursue for MFE/ Computational Finance/ Financial Mathematics course in FY 2025. My background brief is as follow and have attached my resume for reference

Education
1. Bachelors in Industrial Engineering: 7.22 on 10 point grade scale
2. MBA - Marketing & Finance: 8.15 on 10 point grade scale

Work Experience
1. Currently working as Associate Director of Product at a Fintech Unicorn in the domain of Open Finance India and UAE.
2. Have close to 9 years of experience in Product Management

Certifications
1. Open Banking and Finance - Cambridge
2. Professional SCRUM Master - scrum.org
3. Green Belt Six Sigma - Tata Motors

Technology
1. Python, Javascript, NodeJs, SQL, ReactJs, FAST API
2. Cloud - GCP, Firebase, AWS

Following are the list of universities(in no particular order) I am planning to apply for
1. Baruch College
2. Lehigh University
3. Princeton University
4. Berkley
5. University of Minnesota
6. Georgia Institute of Technology
7. University of Washington
8. Steven College
9. New york University
10. North Carolina State University

As part of my preparation,
1. For refresher, have done AP Calculus-B, Statistics and Probability, Algebra-1 and Algebra-2 from Khan Academy
2. Planning to apply for Pre-MFE seminars at Baruch college

Following are the list of specific queries I have in mind
1. What are the do's and don'ts while drafting resume and SOP for Pre-MFE courses at Baruch College?
2. Do I need to undertake GRE for my candidature at other universities?
3. What I need to work on to make my candidature strong for MS?
4. How to showcase my math and computer skills as part of my candidature?

Thanking you all in anticipation

Attachments

Last edited:
Following are the list of specific queries I have in mind
1. What are the do's and don'ts while drafting resume and SOP for Pre-MFE courses at Baruch College?
2. Do I need to undertake GRE for my candidature at other universities?
3. What I need to work on to make my candidature strong for MS?
4. How to showcase my math and computer skills as part of my candidature?

Thanking you all in anticipation
1. No idea.
2. I think it isn't required for most. But you'll need to check the requirements of each university. It is not a main factor in admissions either way.
3. Learn C++. It isn't clear to me how much probability you know, that may need refreshing or a first covering. I assume linear algebra and calculus were covered well enough in Industrial Engineering.
Make sure you've got a good SOP. Why do you want to switch fields? Why now?
4. Take the C++ course on this website, schools recognize it. Otherwise, I dunno. You have nine years of experience doing coding or coding-adjacent things, right? Besides, I don't think any schools besides Baruch and Princeton have interviews, it probably won't come up.

Hi @MikeLawrence this is quite helpful. I want to have a compiled language as a skill, and c++ will seem to be the best addon.

In case of calculus, the syllabus is quite similar to AP calculus. In case of linear algebra have covered
1. Marics
2. Determinants
3. Vectors
4. Linear equations
5. Three-dimensional geometry
6. Eigen Values and Eigen vectors

Are there satisfactory or need to deepen my knowledge in these areas?

I have covered following topics in probability.
1. Conditional Probability
2. Probability distribution (gaussian distribution and binomial distribution)
3. Experiments
4. Events

Do I need to gain more knowledge in probability?

I am working in fintech space and have build softwares in the space of banking, wealth management, underwriting, payments, etc. I want to pursue MFE to narrow down my focus into capital markets and become an expert in niche. Does this make sense??

I am working in fintech space and have build softwares in the space of banking, wealth management, underwriting, payments, etc. I want to pursue MFE to narrow down my focus into capital markets and become an expert in niche. Does this make sense??
What niche? How will you become the expert? That seems to be a fine idea but is very ill-defined.

You should study more LA and probability. Take whatever course comes after from your local college. Or buy a textbook.

1. No idea.
2. I think it isn't required for most. But you'll need to check the requirements of each university. It is not a main factor in admissions either way.
3. Learn C++. It isn't clear to me how much probability you know, that may need refreshing or a first covering. I assume linear algebra and calculus were covered well enough in Industrial Engineering.
Make sure you've got a good SOP. Why do you want to switch fields? Why now?
4. Take the C++ course on this website, schools recognize it. Otherwise, I dunno. You have nine years of experience doing coding or coding-adjacent things, right? Besides, I don't think any schools besides Baruch and Princeton have interviews, it probably won't come up.
Hi Mike,

Thank you for all the replies.

Can you please elaborate on other colleges do not have interviews?

So what are their criteria?

Do we need to take GRE and GMAT for them?

Ok. Well that also works I guess.

Thank you Mike. Will you be kind and please review the link below. I posted it earlier requesting a review on my profile.

Back