• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Profile evaluation help for MFE/MFin for Fall 2024

B.S in mathematics and scientific computing, IIT Kanpur (Graduate 2020)
GPA - 9.03/10, 10/10 in 15 out of 18 mathematics courses, awarded academic excellence award in mathematics
GRE - 330 (160V, 170Q)
TOEFL - yet to give

Courses -
1. Linear Algebra - 10/10
2. Set Theory and Logic - 10/10
3. Probability and Statistics - 10/10
4. Abstract Algebra - 10/10
5. Real Analysis - 10/10
6. Complex Analysis - 10/10
7. Macroeconomics - 8/10
8. Microeconomics - 8/10
9. Several variable calculus and differential geometry - 10/10
10. Theory of computation - 10/10
11. Numerical Analysis 1 - 10/10
12. Numerical Analysis 2 - 10/10
13. Ordinary Differential Equations - 10/10
14. Partial differential Equations - 10/10
15. Computational financial mathematics - 6/10 (Because of very little attendance:cry:. Ironic that this is what I want to study)
16. Machine Learning - 10/10

Work Experience -
Working at a leading investment bank for the past 3 years in the Equities team. My work mainly involves quantamental portfolio construction, risk modelling of equity portfolios, generating insights from data to enable PMs to make better investment decisions and building tools to visualize risk of portfolios for the PMs

Research Experience/Publications - None (This is the biggest weakness imo)

Projects -
Undergraduate - An FIR management system. Not much to boast
Work - 1. Developed an optimization algorithm that successfully solved a complex linear optimization problem. Notably, this algorithm is currently in use, receiving over 45,000 hits per year.
2. Another project focused on modeling the consistency of stock selection across three quanta-mental portfolios (Joint Assets of $1.5B) through multi-portfolio optimization. This required me to approximate a non-linear constraint that was not supported by the optimizer, using linear constraints and introducing dummy variables to solve the use case

Programs I am thinking to apply in order of preference (based on How rigorous the program is > Alumni Network > Placements Stats)-
1. Princeton - Master in Finance
2. Baruch - Financial Engineering
3. UCB - Financial Engineering
4. CMU - Computational Finance
5. NYU Courant - Mathematics in Finance
6. University of Chicago - Financial Mathematics
7. Columbia University - Mathematics of Finance
8. Columbia University - Financial Engineering

Questions -
1. Apart from these should I apply to any other programs as well?
2. Should the order of preference be switched?
3. What seem to be the changes to get selected in 1, 2 or 3?
4. How big of a problem is the fact that I have no research experience or publications? Does relevant work experience in finance compensate for it?
5. What are my chances of getting scholarships at the above colleges?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Any reason to skip Berkeley/MIT?
I did not put Berkeley because I put its application together in a hasty way and thought that I did not have a chance there. But surprisingly got an interview scheduled next week. So Berkeley is in the list now after Princeton.

For MIT the program curriculum is a bit different (focus on corporate finance) from what I want.

You have one of the best profiles I have seen posted here. How are your c++ skills?

Edit: Regarding lack of research experience, that shouldn't hurt you since you have work experience. MFE's are professional degrees meaning a lot of programs actually value work over research

Last edited:
You have as good a shot as any at the programs you've listed. I'm assuming the numerics course, projects, and work experience cover the programing requirements. There is no reason you can't get into all the programs you've listed. Hard to say if you will get into them, but best of luck to you.

For the questions:
1) You could add Cornell's program, but don't overthink it. Apply to the programs that will give you what you are looking for and are a good investment of time and money for you.
2) This falls under 'don't overthink it.' Also, I'd say: 'don't count your chickens before they hatch.'
3) Nearly as good as anyone. Better than most, for sure, but there is no sure thing.
4) You're optimization algorithm that is getting 45k hits a year probably falls under original research and fills any gaps there might have been. Even it you didn't have that, no research publications will break your application. Most people at the top programs don't have any either.
5) Uchicago gives generous scholarships to most students, I've seen scholarships at Princeton but it appears to be very rare. Otherwise, not sure. And Baruch is so cheap compared to the others that it doesn't matter.

You have one of the best profiles I have seen posted here. How are your c++ skills?

Edit: Regarding lack of research experience, that shouldn't hurt you since you have work experience. MFE's are professional degrees meaning a lot of programs actually value work over research
Thanks. My experience in C++ is limited to competitive programming I did in college and am aware of classes (OOPs concepts). Don’t have any experience using virtual functions etc. though which I have heard is used as well.

You have as good a shot as any at the programs you've listed. I'm assuming the numerics course, projects, and work experience cover the programing requirements. There is no reason you can't get into all the programs you've listed. Hard to say if you will get into them, but best of luck to you.

For the questions:
1) You could add Cornell's program, but don't overthink it. Apply to the programs that will give you what you are looking for and are a good investment of time and money for you.
2) This falls under 'don't overthink it.' Also, I'd say: 'don't count your chickens before they hatch.'
3) Nearly as good as anyone. Better than most, for sure, but there is no sure thing.
4) You're optimization algorithm that is getting 45k hits a year probably falls under original research and fills any gaps there might have been. Even it you didn't have that, no research publications will break your application. Most people at the top programs don't have any either.
5) Uchicago gives generous scholarships to most students, I've seen scholarships at Princeton but it appears to be very rare. Otherwise, not sure. And Baruch is so cheap compared to the others that it doesn't matter.
Thanks for the reply. The pre-program courses for UCB start in December so I guess one needs to accept the admit before that. However, the first round results for other colleges are not out atleast until January end. Can you please tell if the tuition fees for UCB needs to be paid before January? If so, how do people approach this issue? Also since I am an international student I also need some time to apply for the visa.

Thanks for the reply. The pre-program courses for UCB start in December so I guess one needs to accept the admit before that. However, the first round results for other colleges are not out atleast until January end. Can you please tell if the tuition fees for UCB needs to be paid before January? If so, how do people approach this issue? Also since I am an international student I also need some time to apply for the visa.
Not sure, other members are better equipped for these questions.

Back