• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Profile evaluation - Master Applied Science

Hello all,
I plan to apply for the Quantitative program in north America. I am very appreciated for each advice.

Education
University of British Columbia Sep. 2009- Nov. 2011
Master of Applied Science (Electrical Engineering) GPA 4.0/4.0
Coursework: Information Theory(91), Real Analysis I(97), Real Analysis II(100), Signal Estimation Theory(92), Probability and Random Processes (94), and Fundamentals of Digital Communications (97)
Northwestern Polytechnic University (Xi’an, China) Sep. 2000- June 2004
Bachelor of Engineering (Communication Engineering) Score 87.8/100 (ranked 3rd out of 150)
Coursework: Advanced Mathematics(98), Complex Variables Function and Integral Transformation(96), Probability and Mathematical Statistics(96) , Mathematical Equation and Special Functions(100), and Computational Method(94)
Test Score:
GRE: Quantitative 800,Verbal 760, AW 4.0

Experience:
Several-year research experience in wireless communication, published two IEEE journal papers which mainly deals with multivariate random variable and multi-fold integration.
Currently works in Ottawa as an automation test engineer, job started in March, 2012.

Finance background
Passed CFA Level III in June 2013. No real working experience in Finance area.

Skills
Several years' software development experience with C/C++, VB, Python, Matlab and SQL programming

Programs plan to apply
(1). Columbia university
Financial Engineering or Mathematics of finance, don't know which one fits me better or I have higher chance to get admitted.
(2). University of California, Berkeley
Financial Engineering. Unrealistic, right? I know it's very competitive.
(3). City university of new york
financial engineering
(4). University of Toronto
Mathematical Finance
(5). University of Waterloo
Master of Quantitative Finance
(6) Cornell University, NYU, and CMU
applied before, got rejected

I don't know whether I'm too aggressive or not. Should I consider other programs?

Thank you very much for your time and effort!!

David

You have a strong profile. This is a good list! I'll probably apply to MFE at Columbia if I were you and would re-apply to Cornell, NYU and CMU again just in case!

Back