• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Profile Evaluation - TIA!

Hello!

I am looking to pursue an MSFE / MFin from a top ranked US school. While I'm planning to apply for the Fall'24 session, I am also open to applying for Fall'25, if I can build my profile in the next few months, to better my chances of admit.

About Me
I have completed my UG/PG in Physics from an IIT (Tier-1 in India), with a CGPA of 8.4/10. I also have a published and a conference paper hovering around computational physics and machine learning respectively. I additionally have 3 years of work experience in one of the largest financial services companies in the world, working an an analyst covering Asia and US macroeconomics, with deep time-series modelling and research experience.

I plan to appear for the GRE in October, and am aiming for a 330+ score.

I would appreciate some advice, regarding the below points -

1. While I fell that my overall CGPA is good, my grades in mathematics are average at best. Is there a way I can rectify this? Would giving a Subject GRE in Maths help?. any other suggestions?
2. Would giving CFA (Level 1 and possibly Level 2) through next year, help build my profile?
3. Does my profile seem good enough to apply this year, or should I wait, and take some steps to better my profile, (and what can those steps be), to have a better shot next year.

Really appreciate your time and thanks in advance!

CFA will help, but in all your profile can easily get you a good school. Barring the top 5 maybe, you shouldn't have a problem getting in anywhere

CFA will help, but in all your profile can easily get you a good school. Barring the top 5 maybe, you shouldn't have a problem getting in anywhere
Just curious, which ones are considered the top 5 in general? The Risk.net and QuantNet rankings are not in consensus except that they both put Baruch and Princeton at the top. But I have always been confused about Princeton's standing because it seems more like a general finance program than a mathematical finance one.

Just curious, which ones are considered the top 5 in general? The Risk.net and QuantNet rankings are not in consensus except that they both put Baruch and Princeton at the top. But I have always been confused about Princeton's standing because it seems more like a general finance program than a mathematical finance one.
Rankings are not permanent, and frankly never will be. Since most top schools are costly (in my opinion), you should consider the curriculum, location, reputation, and ROI. Drawing on that, I'd say, Baruch, Princeton, MIT, Columbia, and Stanford/CMU make the cut. Nonetheless, this list will always be up for debate

Back