• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Programming || Math

I'm trying to pick my undergrad major I'm split on choosing between learning good programming or good math.

Computational Economics - I'll miss out some key calculus and statistiscs/probability classes
http://www.cs.ucsb.edu/undergraduate/requirements/ba/cpecon/

Financial Mathematics - I'll lose out on learning key programming concepts
http://my.sa.ucsb.edu/Catalog/Current/Documents/Undergrad Major Sheets/Financial-Mathematics-Stat-BS-2010.pdf

UCSB is my only option for undergrad, I do hope to enter a MFE program but I feel that whichever major I pick I'll be lacking the skillset from the other major

Any input would be highly appreciated!

Why not go for Financial Mathematics (much better for MFE) and take some programming courses on the side? All you really need is one C++ course for most MFE programs.

You can always get a minor...
I feel a minor in either would stop short of providing me with any beneficial information. Programming I would miss stuff past the basics and math would stop short of learning stochastic calculus, probability, etc.

Why not go for Financial Mathematics (much better for MFE) and take some programming courses on the side? All you really need is one C++ course for most MFE programs.
Is programming not that important in a MFE program, I feel I would be at a complete disadvantage not knowing how to come up with or program algorithms and such just as much as I would if I don't take stochastic calculus and probabiblity

I'm beginning to lean towards Financial Mathematics, I feel it would best prepare me for the GRE/GMAT & grad school
http://my.sa.ucsb.edu/Catalog/Current/Documents/Undergrad%20Major%20Sheets/Financial-Mathematics-Stat-BS-2010.pdf
But I have very limited programming knowledge of only C++ looping, functions, arrays, strings, file i/o. I was looking through the list of MFE programs listed here on QuantNet and it scares me a little that I'm going to need a deep understanding of C++, SAS, Matlab far beyond what I'll be able to teach myself...

To any of you who did undergrad in math with very few (by few I mean 1 intro) programming classes how are you able to cope in grad school? Did you teach yourself? How long have you been programming for? Should I just not worry, will I learn programming in some of my Probability/Statistics classes or grad school?

I feel like my only way to not be left completely in the dust when I get into a MFE program would be to double major, but that would take quite a while and I do want to actually work at some point :confused:

also the reason I'm considering computational economics is because of the programming knowledge I'll learn, if quantitative finance turns out to not be for me or inability to get a job as a quant there's not much I can do with a degree in financial mathematics where as the former will have a few doors open in other fields...

very lost, please help! :(

I would say go with Financial Math and minor in CS. Although you may be able to meet the minimum requirements and get by with one programming class, it will certainly make your life easier if you have more programming experience. If you complete the minor and find yourself wanting more, you could try taking additional programming courses or self-study and work on a programming project of your own.

also the reason I'm considering computational economics is because of the programming knowledge I'll learn, if quantitative finance turns out to not be for me or inability to get a job as a quant there's not much I can do with a degree in financial mathematics where as the former will have a few doors open in other fields...

Programming is definitely a useful skill to have, so I would try to learn as much as you can. But if you really want to do an MFE, I think Financial Math is better.

I feel a minor in either would stop short of providing me with any beneficial information. Programming I would miss stuff past the basics and math would stop short of learning stochastic calculus, probability, etc.

Is programming not that important in a MFE program, I feel I would be at a complete disadvantage not knowing how to come up with or program algorithms and such just as much as I would if I don't take stochastic calculus and probabiblity

You're not going to learn stochastic calculus in undergrad. I think it's ridiculous to teach undergrads stochastic calculus without a strong grasp of real analysis and knowledge of measure theory & stochastic processes (you most likely won't possess any/all of these prior to taking the stochastic calculus course.) If memory serves, most people here who are in/have graduated from MFE programs will tell you to major in mathematics as opposed to "financial mathematics."

I would recommend Financial Mathematics if quantitative finance is your main interest. The Computational Economics look more like a shotgun wedding of a minor in CS and a minor in Econ rather than a full fledge degree. What you will learn in the CS classes won't overlap with what you will learn in the Economic courses listed in the requirements.

Financial Mathematics with a minor in CS fits more together as recommend by earlier. That might be the best of both worlds.

Also the Fin. Math program in Santa Barbara has more funding support than the Comp. Economics with the Financial Mathematics research center housed in the Stat department. This allows them to sponsors a few mathematical finance seminars and lectures through the year. The Fin. Math degree has a number of alumni that landed in top 20 MFE programs and some directly in the industry, providing the advantage of networking in the future.

Of course, you aren't restricted to only take courses in your major, so use your electives wisely.

IMHO going for a full fledge degree in programming is overkill. You can minor in CS by taking 3 courses in C++, 2 in Java, ...

You can easily pick up VBA, Python, R, etc. on the side.

So yes, programming is very important - but "Financial Math" is harder, more important, and more impressive on the resume.

Just my $.02

My question is to people familiar with the Indian Educational System. We do not have colleges where someone can go and study some Maths Topic or some kind of short term course for MFE requirements.

How can we add some Maths Course Work to our CV at a reasonable cost :)

This is some great input I really appreciate it guys thank you!

So 3 or 4 classes at say a community college in CS would be sufficient to survive in a MFE program? That seems to be the general consensus I'm getting out of this.

I was thinking CS would play a much bigger part in a MFE program than I was originally thinking. i.e. In depth knowledge of C++ in and out object oriented programming and high level stuff like that.

I took ONE C++ class. I am surviving. I obviously would have been better off with more, but yes 3-4 would be great. Just try to diversify.

The "in-depthness" that you are talking about? You learn that in the program.

Back