• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Prospective application

Hi everyone.
I am Harshil.
A recent post-graduate with MBA in Finance.(CFA Level 1 cleared)
I have been placed at a Proprietary Trading Firm as a Derivatives Trader in India. I don't have any programming experience nor do I have any math background.
I am thinking of gaining 3-4 years of work experience and then applying for MFE programs across USA in elite institutes. Till then, I would hopefully complete my CFA level 2 and level 3 successfully.
I was thinking of going for CQF for gaining all the pre-requisite experience for math and programming.
Please advice me on my prospects and any further courses/credit courses that I can do to strengthen my profile.

I'd recommend covering the maths and programming background you're lacking now. 3-4 years of work experience won't compensate for lack of formal education in linear algebra, stochastic calculus etc (even if you do pick these knowledge on the job, it'd be hard to convince the admission officers that you indeed have learned them). Depending on your work, you may be able to cover the programming background requirement, but that'll depend on how much you're coding on a daily basis.

CFA isn't very relevant for prop trading, if anything some prop shops explicitly say that they don't require any finance knowledge on the job listings.

How should I cover those backgrounds? Any specifics you would like to share. Most of the programs ask for credit courses and I don't know how to obtain credit courses without going back to university in India especially.

I suggest that you reach out to some current/past MFE students from India at the school that you aim to get into and ask them about it. Unfortunately I can't advise you on this matter (I had applied maths degree so I've satisfied most of the requirements).

The Quantnet C++ is highly rated by those who have completed it (I'm enrolled but not even halfway in so I can't give a proper review). Based on what I've seen in coding tests for job applications, I'd recommend getting familiar with data structures and algorithm complexity (more efficient implementations are sometimes required to pass the tests).

Oh and learn python (Quantnet has a course on that too, but it's relatively new). It's the most commonly required language from job descriptions, unless you're aiming for a specific firm, then you should look up what they use there.

C2CA726F-CED5-4910-A7A9-ED7EBCB7F28F.jpeg

This should help in terms of resources for math courses.

You’ll struggle mightily in the CQF if your math is rusty or you don’t know at least one programming language well.

Back