• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Prospective Student- MFE(Query Regarding Applicant Profile)

I am looking forward to join the MFE/MSCF/ (Related courses) for 2020 or 2021 (only for Berkley Haas) batch at one of the top 10 universities

I completed my B.Tech in 2016 from one of the most esteemed colleges in India (IITs) and I am currently working in a role of Credit Research for a financial consultancy.
I recently appeared for my CFA level 3 exam (Clearing L1 & L2 in first attempts) in this June. In my prior role as an Associate at a IT firm, I had worked in development for business process flow applications successfully implementing my knowledge in JAVA and SQL. As a part of a project I have successfully applied R and have simulated electrical circuits using Matlab during my graduation.

However a low academic score due to an accident in my first year of college (followed by a knee surgery), affected my grades (D) in Mathematics courses involving Multivariate Calculus and Linear Algebra. I realise that strong background in Mathematics is a must for the Financial Engineering course and I believe that I am well prepared for it.

I would be really thankful if you can suggest any alternatives (exams or courses) which could act as a validation for my interest in this area and prove my competence in Mathematics.

I am already considering writing GRE mathematics subject test, and wanted to know if that is something you'd recommend?

Also, if you know someone who have cracked the admission process with similar issues, the reference of them would help to boost my confidence in this pursuit!

Thank you for your time !

Grades are one input. I repeated a class where I received a shitty grade. You might consider the same. And please refrain from randomly boldfacing phrases in your posts. Almost as bad as crying emojis.

I agree with Onegin. Retake Multivariate. Aside from the grade, if you cannot score well in multivariate, FE will be too much for you.

I agree with Onegin. Retake Multivariate. Aside from the grade, if you cannot score well in multivariate, FE will be too much for you.
Thanks for the suggestion. I have already graduated and taking the course again from college is not an option. And its not like, I cant score well. Just that even when I am well versed with the subject, I need something tangible to prove that.

I think your view of your academic potential will be disregarded in favor of the actual result.

I think your view of your academic potential will be disregarded in favor of the actual result.
Thanks for sharing this. I am just trying to confident about the future and do whatever can be done to make sure I get the admit.

Back