• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

put call parity-question

I have a Eu put and call written on the same div-free stock, with same expiring (T) and same strike K. Assume C and P are current price of them.
How can I show that if the current price of stock is K, and C - P > Kr, then an arbitrage opportunity exist? (r > 0).

Google is your friend, my friend. You have everything you need in your statement, just look up Put-Call parity and digest. Or think up a way to exhibit arbitrage from what you're given. Just from a quick look is this correct C - P > Kr?

I know that if I let Kr > K * {1 - exp ( - r ( T - t ) )} which requires
r > 1 - exp ( - r ( T - t ) ), (which requires T - t must be less than 1) then
there exist an arbitrage opportunity; because C + Kexp ( - r ( T - t ) ) > P + K

Is that right? I think that there might be more simple solution, since in the above argument Its not easy to show that r > 1 - exp ( - r ( T - t ) ) without using numerical illustration.

That is correct, that is why I'm wondering if Kr is correct, and if it shouldn't be Kr(T-t) or something to that effect.

\(C-P=S_0-Ke^{-rT}\)
Since \(S_0 = K\) is given:
\(C-P = K(1-e^{-rT})\)
\(e^x\) is convex, so:
\(C-P <= K[1 - (1-rT)]\)
\(C-P <= K*rT\)

Can't see how you get rid of \(T\), though.

thanks Koupparis and Bob
I think if we assume current time as t, then following Bob's solution we get
C - P <= K * r * (T-t) < K * r
hmm!

if \(T\leq 1\) then \(1-e^{-rT}\leq r\), so PCP is violated and the conclusion follows.

if \(T>1\), however, then \(1-e^{-rT}>r\) is possible, so the conclusion can't be drawn without additional information. you must be missing something.

Back