• TIME TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Quant as an Electrical Engineer

Hi,

I'm currently in school and want to study next year. I intend to study Mathematics or Electrical Engineering. Due to the fact that I'm interested in both science and financial markets, a quant seems to be a very interesting job to me.

I think with a degree in Mathematics or Physics, you have good chances to become a quant. But what about Electrical Engineering? Is it almost the same manner or have engineers not the skills required to become a quant?

I look forward to your answers,
LacyM
Thanks!

If your programming skills are sharp, you've got a strong basis in math, and you can show you're interested in financial modeling, then I think it's less relevant what you do.

That's why there's a large representation of formally trained in Math/Physics/Stat/CS/Engineering moving into the world of quant.

People seem to mention EEs as people skilled in signals processing. That could be (for example) something you would bring to the table to a group doing some financial modeling. People in all those other fields I listed also (surely) have something they'd bring as a skill.

It is not uncommon for EE people to get into quantitative positions. Depends on mathematical and programming skills combined with other degrees or certificates to strengthen your appearance. EEs are successful in business degree directions as well. But for pure quantitative field, math or physics degree is obviously better.

BTW, Citi's Vikram Pandit received B.S. and M.S in electrical engineering from Columbia School of Engineering and Applied Sciences in before MBA and PhD in finance.

Back