Quant jobs in London after completing MFE program in the US

Do you think its possible to score a job in the UK as a quant whilst studying in the US?

• Definitely Yes !!

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • When pigs fly...

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters
There is a similar post like this, but it does not provide a clear cut answer.

I am wondering if students (non- US citizen) from the top Tier US universities are able to get interviews/jobs for quant based positions in London (Non- EU)?

I do have offers from top tier universities both in US and UK and my preferred location is London. The universities in US however, provide a more structured curriculum to my liking. In addition, given the current conservative immigration environment in the UK, I feel its a huge gamble to move to London (You only get 3 months after graduation to get a job) unlike the US which has the OPT option. I would appreciate if you could give your input on this or provide any precedence of this. Thanks !

To take an example, in London the typical sell side quant did not do a quantitative finance degree in the UK, but in France (and I guess DEA El Karoui in particular). Many come from former French colonies, and so need visas to get to the UK. This poses no problems.

Similarly, I see no problem at all doing the degree in the US. This is a bit unusual, though, as the market in the US is bigger and pays better I believe, so most want to stay there instead, but it would not hurt your application at all if you said that you want to be in London rather than NY or Chicago etc, and that's why you're applying.

To take an example, in London the typical sell side quant did not do a quantitative finance degree in the UK, but in France (and I guess DEA El Karoui in particular). Many come from former French colonies, and so need visas to get to the UK. This poses no problems.

Similarly, I see no problem at all doing the degree in the US. This is a bit unusual, though, as the market in the US is bigger and pays better I believe, so most want to stay there instead, but it would not hurt your application at all if you said that you want to be in London rather than NY or Chicago etc, and that's why you're applying.

French can work in the UK under the current EU regulations without a visa.

French can work in the UK under the current EU regulations without a visa.

The question is for long? The status will change from 'EU citizen' to 'migrant'. That's how it's perceived by many.

The times they are a changin' (as always).

The question is for long? The status will change from 'EU citizen' to 'migrant'. That's how it's perceived by many.

The times they are a changin' (as always).

The EU clearly have an upper hand in the negotiations. The change to "migrant" frankly does not seem like it will happen anytime soon. Although, the UK officially leaves the EU next march, their transition period extends until 2020 (with talks to extend to 2025). All one can do it wait and hope for the best.

The EU clearly have an upper hand in the negotiations. The change to "migrant" frankly does not seem like it will happen anytime soon. Although, the UK officially leaves the EU next march, their transition period extends until 2020 (with talks to extend to 2025). All one can do it wait and hope for the best.

Don't bet on anything!

I don't have any fiducia in UK predictions at this stage because they don't have a clue.

I come from right on the border between the Republic and North of Ireland (Dundalk to be precise). Believe me, the Conservatives are making it up as they go along. It's a mess.

Q&A: What is the Brexit 'backstop'?

Last edited:
Back