• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Quant marketing...growing field?

Currently I'm doing FT recruiting with hedge funds/trading firms and a lot of people I'm talking to are telling me that finance is a dying field and now is a bad time to enter it.
I've been told that quant marketing is something I should seriously consider -- it's growing quickly and uses many of the same skills.

My question is, what kinds of firms recruit "quant marketers"?

I haven't heard the term you use, 'quant marketing' before. I believe you are referring to data mining of customer data or other large data sources for marketing purposes. I usually hear this referred to as 'corporate analytics' or just a certain area of marketing.

Here is a link to a statistical consulting group that works in this area and a list of their customers:

http://www.mu-sigma.com/analytics/clients/our-customers.html

Using advanced statistical and computer science methods for marketing is still in it's early phases. Because of the newness of the field, be careful while looking for jobs ; a company may say they want a data miner but in actuality be just looking for an excel jockey (they will say they want a 'data miner' or 'data scientist' because it is sexy). It is also ideal to be certain part of the country to do this sort of work (Seattle, SF).

However, I do think data mining is an interesting field myself and have done some graduate work in this too. There are certainly challenging problems and interesting quantitative methods.

^
Quantitative marketing research makes up much of non-psych-based academic research on marketing in business schools (example). Thanks for the info about opportunities in the field, I'll look into Seattle and SF listings

Gotcha. This is the first time I'm hearing this referred to as 'quantitative marketing'. In my experience, the labels 'data mining' or 'corporate analytics' are more common.

Back