• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Quant risk analyst offer

Hey all, I’m graduating with a degree in physics and applied math this spring from a non-target school, and just received an offer from one of the major investment banks. The position is a quantitative risk analyst in their office in NYC.
I must say I was a bit underwhelmed with the offer. For $75,000/year base salary do you guys think it makes sense to move to NYC? Should I counter? I am still in the application pipeline for a quant hedge fund, so maybe I should tell them about that? Also, I am still waiting for replies from grad programs (Stanford, Columbia, Princeton, and Berkley) so maybe there is a benefit of getting a masters and then joining the industry if the salaries are that for fresh undergraduates.

I also wanted to know what you guys think of quant risk. I am much more excited about quant research and quant trading so I’m not sure if I take this role it will help me make a transition to either in the future.

Let me know! :)

You can counter, but if you are interested in quantitative risk that is definitely a better option than a grad program.

A grad program will take you ~1.5 yrs, cost you ~75K, and then you'll have to start looking all over again only for a 110k associate role.

Do this job well and you'll be at $100K in two years, with two years exp + no student debt.

No brainer for me.

As far as risk vs research / trading, it obviously pays less, but is also less competitive and less stressful hour-wise.

Back