• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE Quantitative Finance in University of Waterloo and Toronto??

Hi guys,
I am looking at canadian graduate programs... Can anyone share some information on University of Waterloo and University of Toronto? I heard they are hard to get in...so what makes a good application?

YuZhao,

I was recently one of the later admits to U of T so if you use my profile (which you can view through my previous posts) as a minimum you should be in the clear. Keep in mind that it appears to become more competitive every year. I did not apply to Waterloo (or anywhere else, risky eh?) but I believe it is slightly easier to get into than Toronto although they require an entrance exam. Feel free to pm me about question regarding the application process with U of T, I do no start the program until August. If you are looking in Canada you may want to check out McMaster as well.

Corbin:

I have received admission to the Mcmaster - Financial Mathematics program. I would like to know about its reputation in toronto area. In terms of quality of course work and job after graduation how is it rated?

Thanks

I got into toronto but was rejected for waterloo, go figure. But ill be going to CMU anyways :p

Subhasishs

Although I am no expert, McMaster programs is newer, smaller (meaning fewer alumni) and overall the school has less prestige than that of U of T or Waterloo. They use the same textbook as U of T for stochastic calculus (although I think most schools use Shreve) so you will probably obtain a similar education. In my opinion McMaster biggest flaw is not incorporating an internship component in the program but if you already have experience it's not a big deal. Now for the good stuff. What school you go to only matters so much. When it comes to finding a job the onus is primarily on you. Regardless of where you go if you know your material, network till the point of harassment and can sell yourself in an interview you will land a good job. Good Luck!

Corbin:

Thanks a lot for your response. I am little concerned that upon graduation I may get stuck with risk analyst opportunities in Toronto area. What kind of roles (Trader, Researcher, Quant Developer etc.), do the UoT/UW graduates usually get upon graduation? Also, by looking at the list of employers hiring graduates from these campuses I noticed several big International Banks (eg. UBS, Deutsche, JPM etc.) missing from the list. Is it usually (I heard Toronto is mostly dominated by big five Canadian banks) the case or it is one of those rare cases? Again, your thoughts and suggestions are highly appreciated.

Hi guys,

I am applying for Waterloo Quant program, can any one share the format of their entrance test and general interview questions?

Back