• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Quantitative finance vs. financial matehmatics

• Thread starter Thread starter spar
  • Start date Start date
I am choosing between these two programs. Professors on qf program have more references, articles, better degrees than mathematical finance. Financial mathematics have harder program, but can still be compared with qf programe. Both programs are masters level and at less known unversity in Europe, financial mathematics will cost me a bit more. Which do you reccomend, how strictly do employers look at these things? I currently have more rust in qf program and if I study by myself advanced math and statstics/probability I am thinking I might get an edge on financial maths graduates.
On one side, I can clearly see qf is obvious choice, but I am still afraid that this can close me some doors.
Please, any advice wuld be greately apprechiated!

On balance, QF. But saying this is next to useless. Look at the actual courses offered when you're making a comparison, regardless of whether a program is described as QF or FM.

On balance, QF. But saying this is next to useless. Look at the actual courses offered when you're making a comparison, regardless of whether a program is described as QF or FM. See also which department is offering it, and which profs will do the teaching.

Basicly, qf has better professors and more up to date subjects. But it lacks subjects in pure mathematics, probability, statistics and programming(has one course with probability and mathematics combinesd and one programming course). Profs who teach math finanace subjects at math finance dont really have any experiences and published articles. I am just afraid my math, probability etc. knowledge gained by myself out of school will be wortless in eyes of employers.
And all this profs at both schools are by reoutation mid level European profs.
Deciding question is how much emploers in qf trust in self acquired knowledge, will I be able to compete with mathematicians if I will have same knowledge?

Back